gouges in asphalt from plowing.

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by PGHSEALER, Apr 2, 2014.

1. PGHSEALER

PGHSEALER LawnSite Member

I've received alot of calls to repair gouges in parking lots. I'm just looking for some input as to what I should use or what anyone else used in the past ? I was thinking hot tar crack filler would work fairly well or possibly some cold patch. The customer is requesting hot asphalt repair but I'm not sure that would be the most cost effective for them or myself. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

All my contracts put the responsibility on the owner of the property. When the asphalt starts to deteriorate, the plow is going to cause damage. It is not your responsibility. Unless your equipment is defective.

3. PGHSEALER

I'm not responsible for it. My customers want me to fix it for them. They will be paying for the repairs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean exactly? Sorry not familiar with that term. lol.

Like the plows caused damage to the asphalt? Like scratch off the surface of the asphalt? Do you have pics? How wide, how deep are those "scratches" on the asphalt?

5. PGHSEALER

The bottom of the plot scratched the surface off on it. I don't have any pics right now but most are 1/2-1 inch wide and and anywhere from 1/4- 3 inches deep.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CMland

CMland LawnSite Member

sounds like your stand popped loose- but I wouldn't tell them that

7. CMland

CMland LawnSite Member

or was not raised enough

8. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

Said he didn't do it.......

9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Call a full time asphalt company, ask them for an estimate. Ask them to take a 5% discount. When you get the estimate, mark it up 5%, and put it on your own estimate form.

10. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

I think you can repair the gouges with a trowel on asphalt repair product. it will take 2-4 applications depending in the depth. I just did this for gouges put in by an core aerator. just bill your time accordingly... you will need basically a week with no rain.