gould gt20 pump

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FYS777, Apr 23, 2013.

1. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey folks, the owner of the property i am leasing brought out this pump, gould gt20. brand new out of the box, i hook it up to the lines and go to prime it, i get water leaking out the side were the two pump casings bolt together with the four bolts. is it the seal that is bad ? i have some other questions to, but this one first. thanks..

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Tighten down the bolts, hopefully you didn't blow the seal by running it when they were loose.

3. FYS777

they weren't loose to start with, so i'm guessing its just a bad seal to start with right out of the box.
    bummer

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the 'seal' on that Goulds pump is in the form of a diaphragm that allows the pump to retain enough water to prevent it from running dry (part # 5K256)

5. FYS777

That must mean the diaphragm is bad?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the pump and return it for warranty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not all dealers will give you over-the-counter replacement warranties. If that is the case with you, by all means check to see if the diaphragm is intact and in place.

8. FYS777

Thanks guys, they are sending a new diaphram, they assembled some with bad ones.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The supplier should inspect the pump and replace any defective parts at their place of business Boots. A simple phone call to the mfg usually sets the wheels in motion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. FYS777

Thanks guys, they are sending a new diaphram, they assembled some with bad ones.
    Posted via Mobile Device