Goulds pump question.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have designed a system for 24gpm and our resident pump guru told us which pump to use. After receiving his recommendation, I am hesitant to say the least.

The pump is a Goulds 1hp -model#Gou-10ls10422c.

We will be suspending the pump from a river dock and will be pumping at the most 20' up to the irrigated area. Maximum lateral run will be 200' away from the river.

We have serviced several systems in the area with the same specs. and they are using 15-20 gpm per zone. They work very well.

My question is that the literature on this pump says that 10gpm is the most efficient rate to use. I always zone for a 25% leeway factor and am just not all that familiar to this particular pumps operation.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John:confused:

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a lot of head with that 200 feet?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You know for a fact that submerging that pump will be in compliance with state electrical codes? This is not a detail you sluff over.

4. jcom

20' vertical. 200' horizontal.

John

5. jcom

I have assumed (don't ever do that) that because this is the norm for river water that it will meet code.

The covenants of the area dictate that this is the only way to use river water for irrigation.

As an aside to the above question: What is the difference electrically to a submersible pump used this way as opposed to one used in casing? I think the wiring will be the same.

Thanks for the input,

John:walking:

6. Wet_Boots

At the most extreme, the difference is a homicide conviction. Some states absolutely forbid the placement of a deep-well submersible in a open body of water. Electrocution is the reason.

You were discussing river-water systems using standard centrifugal pumps a year or so back. Why the change?

7. jcom

Hello WB,

Thanks for the response. There are covenants that prohibit on shore centrifigal pumps unless they are enclosed in a box. Folks that tried that had the pumps burn up. Go figure!

I will do some more checking on this WB as I wondered the same thing about the elect. and water combo. You would think that licensed electricians would be very wary of anything remotely illegal. But I will post back when I learn our local codes.

8. Wet_Boots

No reason your 'box' couldn't have a vent, or if the pump was enough above the high-water mark, that the enclosure couldn't extend below grade, which picks up some temperature moderation from the soil.

I like to bolt a pump to a concrete pier - no seasonal removal that way. The power has to come in by conduit, with a disconnect switch in a weatherproof box at the motor.