1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Government Contracts!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Aug 8, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Who has Federal Gonvernment contracts? I have been approched for a contract for NOAA for shrub and bed maintenance. I have not recieved the paper work yet but from talking to the lady, she said that there is several pages, background check, and such. Is it worth my time? DO they pay on time or does it take several months to get paid?
    I am very curious as to what to be prepared for to land the job at what I should get paid for. Thanks in advance.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have any fed contracts, a few state contracts, and surprisingly enough they are good timley payers.
  3. satch

satch LawnSite Member

I mow 2 HUD apartment complexs.The is pay is average.IT took 60 days for payment to start.I now receive payments everyother week.Manager always is trying to get you to do more than is incontract.But I dont budge.ALL in all its not abad deal.
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have one account with a gov. contract. My thoughts are 1. We just mow & trim. It is an easy account to do cuz we do everyone in the block, which is all commercial accounts. Were there already.

2. They have there payment plan set as mowing starts April 15 ans stops Oct. 15. No mowing b/f or after. Not part of the bid.

3. Payment is prompt. But since our name is out there cutting this porperty, I would like to do more. Such as: round up parking lot, around building, through barriers, etc. We are hired to mow & trim. Landscape is full of weeds and all we do is take the trimmer to trim down the weeds. At least it looks a little better. Most times we bag to keep things looking neat. If anything, pick up debris ect. Here - just mow. Sometimes, it doesn't look good. I hate to say that of our work, but what do you do.
  5. sildoc

Thanks. I appreciate all of those that posted. I still haven't received the paper work yet but you know how the government is and how slow things get done. The contract does not start till October 1st so I have some time to get things done.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

No you don't. Whatever the fallicy that people have about the government moving slow-it isn't the case these days.
    Unless you know your contract proposal submittal date, and you had better know it well, you can easily miss this opportunity.
    I have worked for the federal government, state and local agencies both writing/enforcing and holding contracts.
    If a contact is being considered there is bit of a hoop to jump through. The untimely paying thing is of the past and if the government is slow, a contract holder can back charge them. I know, I have done it and seen it done on multiple occassions with multiple types of contracts.
    You absolutely have to have the specification sheet detailing the constraints of the contract, the submittal process to include end date for receiving the contracts, the name of the action officer/division and the contractor specification sheet which details EVERYTHING you the contractor must have in order for your bid to be accepted.
    Provided this contract is infact sponsored by the federal government, an employee of the federal government is expressedly forbiden to enter into verbal adendums to contract specifications or to verbally award said contract regardless of the circumstances.
    I like governmental contracts, to the point I am tayloring my business in that direction. Good paying, timely paying, and relatively economic proof.
  7. sildoc

Thanks SWD. I never knew that a federal employee could not enter into another contract for services. I find it hard to belive since a federal firefighter had the huge contract for mowing Whidbey Island Naval Air base. HMM no wonder he quit soon after he was awarded the contract. Thanks for your response.
  8. KCON1

KCON1 LawnSite Member

go to the FedBiz Opps website under the vendor section and you can check federal contracts opening nation wide daily. this site applies to all federal branches such as DOD, ARMY,VETERANS SITES, and you have to search under the S classification code which is for utilities and housekeeping services which Naics code 561730 or landscaping falls under. In order to actually bid on these contracts you have to go through a rather lengthy process which includes your CCR registration. to get registered you need an EIN number, DUNS number, and a few hours on the old computer, and unless you are an SBA certified section 8 business or a HUB zone business you are pretty much shooting in the dark to get a contract,but after you jump through all of the hoops and barrels required if you can win a federal award they are great to work for as long as you keep them happy , and the good thing is it is year round income and most FED contracts are one year with four option years to follow which is basicaly a five year contract unless you just don't want to renew the options. hope I didn't scare you off because these contracts can really step you up a notch especially the biggger jobs