1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Government grants

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cleancutccl, Sep 2, 2004.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

anybody know anything about getting government grants for small businesses?
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

no but i would like to know as well!...good question
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, don't hold your breath. I've only heard of one guy getting a gov't grant to start his business. The rest of us are still wishing on falling stars and working our arses off to make it in this business.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

There are several books about SBA loans. They are not as good as you would think for government loans. White, Richard M. The Entrepreneurs Manual ISBN:0-8019-6454-7 is a good business book, it explains a lot of the ins and outs of the venture capital biz. SBA also will have literature of thier own. The book though tells you how to secure both a gov. loan and private loans. A solid biz plan is a must or no one will touch it. Check your library first. That's where I found it, for free!
  5. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

Goverment grants, the way we understand it is the goverment givs us a grant to start our business.

The way the goverment runs it is we give them money so they can stay in business.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Most people can't get them so the focus in books is usually on loans. Your local Corporation commission might have some info, possibly your chamber of commerce as well if they want to attact jobs to the area.

gives info about starting a business.
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

He wasn't asking about loans. He was asking about grants. Still, a SBL isn't such a bad option either. With the interest rates being so low for so long the banks are still quick to approve a SBL. Before you do anything you should do as out4now mentioned and put together a sound business plan.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I looked into it a couple years ago....dont waste your time.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -