Gov't role in lawn maint---why not outsource?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever asked yourself the question---when did "we the people" abdicate power to our gov't agencies (towns, cities, state, fed, school district) and why are gov't workers doing jobs that could be outsourced to an LCO?

Don't get me wrong, gov't has its role, but should property maintenance be a part of that care they provide us? There are many areas within gov't services that should be looked at for outsourcing! More times than not today, gov't is becoming the largest employer in our markets.

Shouldn't "we the people" start petitioning our gov't for redress---or in this case demand/expect them to start outsourcing jobs once left to the private sector.

Have you approached your local gov't body and started any dialog in this direction? What was their reaction? Around here, when I approach an elected or director level gov't employee (whom derive their salary, benefits, and pension from me and many other taxpayers) and ask them about outsourcing specific functions that have no business being "managed" by a particular gov't body, I get the crossing of arms across the chest with the usual remark of "so who wants to know"? Or they give me forms for an Adopt-the-__________ program!

2. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

What are you talking about? I work and/or live on and around 3 Marine Corps bases. All the LCO work, as well as the majority if not all of the LCO work in the local city government is and has been outsourced for as long as I can remember.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Almost all the mowing on school, and gov is done by private in our area.

4. Heatman

Heatman LawnSite Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. I live near a town that they added long median areas to divide the streets. I have seen up to 6 city employees at one time mowing these with 21" mowers. Same guys mow all the park areas. What a waste of tax money.

5. Juan_Deere

How do you know they were city employees, and not just wearing city vests or jackets, as a clause in a contract? And how exactly do you know those city workers weren't making $7 an hour, when an LCO would be making $25 an hour or more, for performing the same job? Even if they were to pay an LCO $7 an hour to perform the same work. It's still tax money isn't it? So how is it a waste of tax money?

6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Show them on paper how they can save money/time/aggravation by outsourcing
    The hospital I used to work for outsorced our department for 5 years then we were brought back in house(change of leadership in way upper management)
    Its all a numbers game

7. Heatman

Heatman LawnSite Member

Do you think the city would provide a LCO with a city owned trucks????? I'm sure they make more than $7 per hour, even if they only made that still very inefficient + cost of equipment, benefits, and other associated overhead. 1 LCO could do as much as these 6 men with the proper equiptment.

8. Juan_Deere

And the LCO price would reflect it, too. Either way, it needs to be done, and it's still tax money either way.

9. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

they(we) would save money, and we would make more! they win, we win, then we win again.

10. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

And we are supporting them down the road with a big fat pension. Ever figure what that costs? I'll bet a gov't actuary has!

Around here, gov't employees have lavish benefits and great pensions. And I think some of you missed the point---where is it said that they control a service that could be outsourced to a private contractor? Part of my point is this---outsourcing, when compared to gov't employed staff, is less expensive. What gov't program can you cite that is more efficient than a private employer?