GPH and Drip Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I do drip irrigation a little differently from what most people seem to do, I avoid using punch in emitters, or bubblers etc.

Instead, I've found that 1/4" tubing with 1 GPH emitters spaced every 6 or 12 inches works great. I make rings of 1/4" around each plant before Teeing into the 700 tubing mainline. (See attached image).

What I especially like about this method (besides the 1/4" tubing being more durable than punch in emitters or microsprays..and much more clog resistant) is that I can put an exact amount of GPH per plant. (see attached image again).

I have two questions though. Is there any sort of comprehensive list that shows how many GPH common plants like? I have a good idea for my zone, but sometimes I find a plant I'm not familiar with.

Secondly, does anyone else do drip this way?

drip.GIF

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Got any more detail, or component numbers? I'm looking at a Rainbird catalog, and don't see how multiple emitters would be connected to the 1/4" tubing.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what Jon is using, but I've been using 1/4" blue stripe w/ emmitters for some situations for quite a while. Of all things, I buy the 1/4" at home cheapo. 100' rolls w/ .5gph emmitters every 6" built in to the tube. I like LD090018 RB as distribution tubbing. The .9gph emmitters every 18" works well for me in most situations, then we add the 1/4" tubbing for areas that need more water or that have high water use plants. Also, This 1/4" tube works real well tapped into 1" poly. Use 1/4" tube w/o emmiters until you get to a tree and then run a tree ring w/ a tee using the 1/4" w/ emmitters. Or, you can just tie a knot at the end to dead end the 1/4" tube.

4. Dirty Water

The product is AgriFim Dura-FLO Jr. (#SFJR-BL-0601)

http://www.agrifimusa.com/display.a...p92&specpages=2&install=dfj-i1&installpages=1

it was too early when I wrote my first post and I said each emitter was 1 gph...They are actually .5.

5. Wet_Boots

The "700" in the drawing had me looking at Rainbird pages, since they use a 0.700" distribution tubing, and saw there were 'tees' that had a self-piercing side outlet, leaving two barbed fittings for their 1/4" tubing (which is actually smaller, with a 0.16" ID) - but then, you'd only have an emitter on each end of the line, instead of a ring. The 'spaced emitter' tubing you mention sounds more like it, but I sure hope it's larger than Rainbird's 1/4" tubing.

6. Wet_Boots

Looks feasible enough, if the lack of pressure compensation isn't an issue.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What a hassle!You might just use Lazer Line instead it is much more practical.I give your little lines of emmittors about 1 year befor they start breaking down from UV and clogging up.I don't like to install little lines all over a garden,they get in the way,get pulled out with garden tools,get stepped on ect.You can run the large line right behind the plant(whatever is the higher side) and punch 1 shrubbler right on top of the line and that will take care of the same application (2 for trees)as you have shown with let $ and less work involved and less messy lines to deal with.

8. Dirty Water

First off, the tubing is UV resistant. Secondly the emmiters don't clog at all, (unlike the Xeribug RB punch ins).

A small ring around each plant doesn't get in the way at all, and it can be stepped on, which in my book, makes it better than any microspray or punch in emmitter (tired of replacing broken emmiters).

Finally, what if you have a plant like a lavender that doesnt require much water? Your shrubbler is wasting water, wouldn't you want to be able to specificly fine tune the water output per plant usage?

Again, I'm the only person I've ever seen do it this way, but if Agrifim makes the product, I'm sure others do as well.

9. Wet_Boots

What filtration and pressure regulation do you use on the drip, if you're using that emitter line?

10. Dirty Water

150 Mesh filter, with a 30 PSI or 50 PSI pressure reducer depending on water source and usage (its reccomended to run those lines at 15 psi)