1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GPS coordinates on websites: automatic location

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdvaden, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought this might be better over here than the website area, as it's meant more for information than for website design.

Lately, I started putting GPS coordinates to trails and images on my pages like:

Click the Google Earth icon in the box, and it visually flies you to the trailhead area.

About three weeks ago, I noticed a small town forum that started a GPS location page for local places of interest - even restaurants.

So I borrowed the idea - hence the auto-click feature with the icons.

Then it hit me, that when we finally sell and move out of the country - like Portland area surburbs - I'm going to add an icon to my website so people can click and immediately see where I'm located.

It's similar to how the maps in Google's one-box or other options put the bubble pin marker in a map for an address that's typed in.

I figured "why don't more businesses just put an auto-click feature on their home page or contact page that's one jump ahead of that.

Like on this page here, I did it for the image - just click the icon at bottom left...

Its just as easy to enter my address on Google Earth, place the cursor over the location, read the coordinates at the bottom, and swap the coordinates in the page code link for the icon.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The .kml files need an associated program to read. When asked to "search the web," it returned a message with file type as unknown.

Your idea is a good one, but perhaps one link is still missing.
  3. mdvaden

Do you have Google Earth installed - the specific program mentioned on the contact page?

I may also add the Google Maps icon too - its not program dependent.

Landscapers could show locations of their best curb appeal photos this way too, so people could drive by.

If you haven't used Google Earth, you will enjoy it.

Links are complete - I tested them beforehand.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I do not have Google Earth installed. I will have to investigate further. Thanks.
  5. mdvaden

It's free. Try it out. At Google. Or enter a search. Installs in minutes.

You can enter a place, or your address, and it zooms right in. You can tilt the terrain, or rotate the axis of view. I like looking at my hiking places from overhead, then looking at it from side view in 3D terrain. It's detailed enough to see my truck in an image from our last home, and the silver toolboxes on it. Can't see wiper blades or leaves on trees, but can at least see a 6' diameter tree or a vehicle.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I understand, but is this something a person with a GPS in their automobile could use?
    Would your company pop up on their system as a business, if they have and exercised such option?
    What about some of these Web-enabled pda's or cell phones, does that work?

If not, does Google Earth add you, is it something that might pop up for anyone using G.earth, without first visiting your web site?
  7. mdvaden

I think you need to be in Google's business directory to show up on the map often seen in their "one box" to display beforehand, or maybe if they look-you-up.

My thoughts were that they could click an icon for Google Maps on our websites, and it would display the location.

One thing I want to use it for - just like I did on my contact page for the Ecola Park image - is for projects I've done in front yards where people can see my work without going up to a front door or into the yard - where they can see it from their car or standing on the sidewalk. I have several projects like this.

All it takes is the IMAGE, and the ICON coded, and a sentence "Click the Google Maps icon for a map to visit and view the project in this image".

I just did stage 1 of a preservation project for the Southern Oregon Historical Society on a Catalpa tree. The page is this, with the GPS coordinates as well as the Google Maps icon if someone wants to see whats going on:

I'm going to integrate GPS throughout my site as an incentive for people to use my pages, for showing work projects and for sharing directions.

Regarding the vehicle, or even handheld GPS - yes, someone could enter the two coordinates to visit your location, although it may be as easy to print a Google Map and drive to see something.