GPS in trucks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bigjeeping, Nov 1, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

How many have GPS in trucks? How has it benefited you?

I'm looking into it as my business grows.. any recommendations on products/services?

Thanks in advance :usflag:
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

gps to tracking, or for directions, or both if avaiable I have a tomtom 910, works great, for directions only though.
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

For tracking purposes
  4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Just ordered tracking for the trucks. Sounds like it will be awesome when it gets up and running.
  5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

ALL my trucks have a Nuvii in them and I track ALL my workers through nextel. Pretty easy to dispatch a emergency when you can see where everyone is at any given time. I also caught one of my employees doing errands on a regular basis that was taking 3 hrs on the average per a week while he was claiming to be working on the clock. Also I caught the same employee doing side work with my truck and parts via the tracking.
  6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

So you didnt tell them you were installing the GPS? I think I probably will tell everyone the GPS is there to head some of these problems off at the pass. I really dont want to have to fire everyone if I can avoid it.
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

do not have GPS yet we used 1 in LOusiville during the Expo in the rental car and it was sure nice to have and pretty neat . My wife said that it would be nie to have 1 ourselves so guess that will be her Christmas present
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of systems are you using for tracking in the trucks? I have been using nextel, but it asks the user if they want to be tracked before it will actually do it. Kinda useless if they select no, and also it will only allow it in real time. Is there a service that will record and you can trace their steps later on in the day?
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I own my nextel phones that my workers use, and I set them up before they take them. The only time any questions came up was when you are inputting the info on the website. So I did not have that problem. And yes there is a system that will trace their steps for the entire day. I believe if you contact the company that provides the service for Nextel they have different plans available and you can buy the service direct instead of going through nextel.

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We bought Tom Tom this year and it works great. Besides the directions, it also gives you an estimated arrival time, and has Blue Tooth for hands free driving for my cell.