GPS - Speed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Feb 5, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I noticed on the new Z-Sprays they have Garmin GPS for speed.

Anyone know the accuracy of this little unit? It is called a Garmin Forerunner 101.

I looked on the web and you can get the exact GPS unit for about $70-80.

You can track your time on each lawn from start to finish, speed and check and distance etc.

Is anyone thinking of adding this to their ride-on unit?

This may sound stupid.....but I was even wondering about on larger properties about using it for estimating lawns? You can wear it on your wrist also. Just wondering about this as it sucks to push a wheel over larger acreages that are all cut up.

2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about that unit but I have a garmin in my truck and I trust it pretty well, because it is down by satellite, my truck has about a 3mph difference.

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Every GPS I've ever used or owned was right on for speed. Your truck may be off by the 3mph.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I may have to look one of those up on eBay... Sounds like a pretty cool little gadget.

5. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I talked to Andy at LT Rich about it an he said it is very accurate. According to him you can take one step and see it change 3ft.

6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have a setting to let you know if you're overlapping?? farm equipment has had GPS guidence for a while...

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Garmin Legend mounted on my Z. It will measure area but I believe it is the only model that will. It is very accurate down to as low as 5K (thats as low as I've checked it).

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have summit HC etrex by garmin. color screen downloadable maps, you can even download your way point into an autocad file for plotting , ect.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8709
    it does area altitude, ect.... about i got mine for $160 bucks.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks Guys! I will probably just get a Garmin!

Ray,

Funny you ask!

I have a light bar (guidance system) on my big sprayer...and it works great!

I stopped in yesterday and talked to my Case dealer and I could run a lightbar on my new spreader as it has variable widths. The only problem is that its accuracy is about 6 inches (which is good on a 60 ft boom, but not a 11-18 ft swath).

If you go to RTK then it you can get within an inch...but that is big money.

Also this system is a little "bulky" on a ride on...but I am definilty going to keep my eye on it!

The older units are down to about $1800, which is money well spent when you do a lot of larger properties.

You can't believe how a unit like this takes the "fatigue" out of the job. You just sit back and drive straight!

I think I am going to go with the Garmin for now, just for speed!

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have used a GPS unit to keep track of speed with my larger spray units for several years. I have a Magellan. It will also keep track of your bearing so it could eliminate the need for a foamer. My GPS uses batteries quickly. I have a battery power supply. I also use it to check the speed of my Permagreens when I calibrate them.