GPS - Speed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Mar 15, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I received my Forerunner GPS receiver earlier this week and just got to play around with it today!

It is awesome!

Can't wait to use it! Don't really need to know my speed, but it will be a good indicator.

I haven't tried to measure any area with it yet...but am planning on tring it tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes!

If one can measure a lot with it....it will be the ticket!

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey Rodney, let me know how that works for measuring, should be interesting how accurate it can do.

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

how much was it? where did you get it Rodney?

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to scare you, but when measure a lot make sure you are not close to metal surfaces (Cars, metal buildings) or you may experience a thing called multipath which will effect your accuracy. Also make sure you are not under dense tree canopy. In a wide open area your accuracy can be as good as 3 feet using WAAS which is pretty accurate.

For more information search for "multipath" and "waas"...this will tell you a bit more information so that you may use the GPS to the best of its ability.

5. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We bought one of the forerunner 101 about a month ago, and absolutely love it. We mounted it on our grasshopper prolawn sprayer for measuring speed. It tells speed to the tenth mph. You can also use it for measuring distance (sq. ft) and it has a timer on it too. The only thing I dislike is if you forget to turn it off, it will run down the batteries. It takes 2 AAA batteries, which is nice to be able to change on the go, instead of having a rechargeable on. We bought ours at tigergps.com and paid $89 for it and $12 for the handlebar mount bracket.

John.

6. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Are these things weather/rain proof?
    sometimes we do need to work in less than perfect weather and I'd hate to invest in a gps just to find it water logged after a day in liquid sunshine.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It was $89 and got it off ebay.

There are several units to pick from...but I just went with the simplest and cheapest one to make sure it worked.

I also bought rechargable batteries and and charger. I have a convertor in my truck so I can charge them as I use them.

I will let you guys know how the "measuring works".

I am truely more interested in that then using it for speed!

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Did you have any trouble getting your 101 to mount on your bicycle handle?

I think they may have sent me the wrong one or something as the 101 seems too large for the handlebar holder?

9. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

rcreech,

We ordered the handlebar kit. It snaps on the outer edges of the gps, and then slides onto the handlebar ring. They do make a larger ring mount, but the one we got mounts up to a 1" diameter.

Are you mounting it on you pg? We mounted it to the spray manifold on a prolawn sprayer. I haven't got to use the bicycle mount yet, I just used the velcro wrist wrap, and attached it to the manifold beside the pressure gauge. I bought ours from tiger gps, if you go to their website and look at the forerunner 101 and look at accessories, we bought the $12 mounting kit. I see they also sell the bigger mountng ring there as well.

John..

10. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

but are they weather proof?