GPS To Track Crews

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Medic, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone using GPS to track crews?

I don't have any knowledge about GPS so any information would be appreciated.

ie costs, upkeep, dependability, acceptance by crews etc

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about the cost, but I believe its a least several hundred dollars per month. I guess it depends on how many units you have. My old boss got it recently for his crews. Now he watches them on the screen as they leave the shop a 7am and promptly head to the nearest 7-11! LOL

He hasn't told the employees about the GPS yet, trying to keep it his little secret. I'm sure if they knew about it, it would cut down on a lot of goofing off.

He said its great at the end of the week when they're trying to finish up, makes it much easier to coordinate sending crews to help one another. I don't know if the cost is justified though. I guess it buys peace of mind for the owner.
  3. LakeMurrayLawns

LakeMurrayLawns LawnSite Member

GPS real time trackers are around $10,000 for one transmitter to get started, I'm not sure what the monthly cost would be, that will just get you the hardware and software.
  4. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

My dad has that at his work. Cost thounsand to install, and all it does it tell you where they are. Don't get it your wasting your money. Just my two cents. Good luck.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If I have/had to use GPS to track my people, I think I would get out of the business for good IMO.
  7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You could very well be correct in your assumption.

However we are tying to put together a business plan that would allow us to set up a business like the cheap cheap mowing that is in the DFW area. Our plan is to move to the Texas area and use all H2B employees, probably a large percentage of new hires every season. We thought it might be to our advantage to be able to track all of the trucks. It would help us give them directions to the properties, help with making sure we are scheduling properly, and to keep track of equipment.

But thanks for your opinion.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

For the cost of GPS, you could probably hire a supervisor to ride around all day checking up on crews.

The biggest problem with GPS is that employees resent it, it may improve your efficiency at the expense of company morale. And in the long run that could be as problematic as anything else.

I've always found that if crews know someone MIGHT pop up on them at any moment, it keeps them working without spending a lot of dough on GPS.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

one of the home security systems has been running ads about mobile vehicle trackers, almost knock offs of onstar. Its cheep, i think around $30 a month, and would work well for these applications i believe.
  10. BostonGuy

BostonGuy LawnSite Member