Gps??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I've read that some people are using GPS to estimate sqaure footage of lawns. What system are people using, and is it worth it? It seems like a good idea, but I just don't know enough about it.

:usflag:

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Not to hijack cadzilla's post, but maybe some people can chime in on this aspect of GPS also.

How many of you are using GPS Mapping systems to map out your routes for your crews. I am concerned with my crews knowing their way around. I service essentially five different towns and not everyone knows their way around every town in this area. How has it worked for those who have used GPS in this way.

Cadzilla,

On our county assesor's website you can look up a property and get the size of the lot. This will give you a good idea going into your bid of what to expect, and it can also eliminate some properties you may not want to bid as most of the time it will tell you how much they paid for the house.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Size doesnt always matter. IMO good ol visual and experience will do better. Some yards have obsticles, hills, play sets, fences and stuff that GPS wont show. Good old experience can tell whether its a $30 yard, $35 yard, $40 yard, ect. Its fine to know the sq footage to enter into the MANY variables. Some of my larger yards are mowed quicker than some of the smaller ones because I may use my 72" verses a smaller that I have to use my 36" to access gates and such.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Although I have GPS in every truck I would agree with a good visial estimate on maintenance. I use GPS for it's mapping and routing benefits. I use averages for lawn maintenance. :)