Grade 70 chains

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 10, 2007.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Just wanted to check and make sure that grade 70 chains are the DOT rule for chaining equipment down?
    Thanks

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The chain should be gold in color and be grade 70 transport chain and the hooks you use match the chain rating. The higher the grade stronger it is but more prone to snapping instead of stretching. The chain links should stretch to a point before the let go.

3. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is grade 43 DOT O.K or not?

4. Gravel Rat

I never heard of grade 43 I guess because its not sold in my area its all G-70 chain. You have to know the working load of the chain you are using because you might not have enough chain rating.

Chain is like nuts and bolts you have different grades in strength higher the grade number higher the tensile stregth but it has less sheer strength.

Like I mentioned chain should give you some warning before it snaps and the warning is the links start to stretch.

For lifting heavy loads the use of cable is prefered because cable gives you warning signs when its overstressed where chain does not.

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Newsweede: there is alot more to it (so I have learned) than just getting grade 70 chain. The easiest place I found to figure it out is 1st-chainsupply.com. They sell chain, explain the differences, and have links to help you figure it out. What are you going to transport?

6. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

Tranporting a 7800 lbs Skid steer

seems grade 70 will be perfect.

7. Gravel Rat

You might aswell buy 4 lengths of 1/2 inch chain then you know your covered then if you need to use a chain to lift or pull something its strong enough. Your technically "NOT" supposed to lift things with grade 70 transport chain but if your not lifting a load over a persons head I don't see a problem.

Many guys run 3/8s but at 6600lb safe working load its okay for strapping down a small machine but if you need to pull the skid steer out of the mud hole its not quite strong enough a 1/2 inch chain has 11,300lb working load.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Transport chain is not recommended for lifting. I know, we've all done it, but only in a pinch. If you plan on lifting anything, buy lift grade chain.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

It's pretty interesting around here right now. Last year was a boom year and it was like the wild west.....everyone and anyone was working and towing with anything they could get their hands on. DOT was real slack. Well, that has changed dramatically....the season has just started, and DOT is pulling over anyone and everyone. DOT is citing and red tagging like there is no tomorrow....no extinguisher in your pick up towing a skid? no numbers on the side of your truck? one tail light not working? dirty cab? unclean windows? all these are red tags right now......Guess they are trying to send a message of some sort or increase their coffee and donut fund.

10. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

That is why I want to get it right. I have th triangles and the flares and fire extinguisher and all trailers inspected and as this is my first piece of "heavy" equipment I want to make sure so I don't have to leave it on the side of the road to get better chain.
    The DOT up here have been pulling people over at 10 at night. I haven't gotten nabbed yet but I know it will happen.