Grade lasers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chuckers, Jul 22, 2006.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

What lasers are you running?Pro's and Cons and how long you have had it? I am looking for a new one thinking a leica rugby 200 but am unsure.

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

we use dewalt, takes the normal dewalt batteries just like their drills and what not so that comes in handy, self leveling, pretty rugged. Not the most fancy one on the market but it works just fine for anthing i need it for

3. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

If you just need it for making areas level Home depot sells some for about 500 with legs and a rod. If you have to do more fancy stuff like pipe pitch, slopes, etc. you probably need somthing a little fancier. We have a spectra physics not sure of the model thats like 5 years old and have had no problems with it. I beleive it was about 4 grand new.

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

We got a Dewalt and like it too. Home Depot or Lowes can't remember, or has whistles it is a month old.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we use dewalt as well. worked fine so far.

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the spectra but I wasn't happy with the looks of the unit worried about durability I looked at the HV301

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i've got the "combo" deal from Home Depot..........$420 and works great

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have been looking for one also that will shoot at least a 1000 feet and self leveling.

I also want durable and inexpensive.
    1000 bucks or less.

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We haven't had the best of luck with our DeWalt at work. It tends to track off of level, even in a matter of 1/2 hour. We are constantly checking it to make sure it's still where it needs to be. Some of the problem I am sure is with the tripod as the sun comes and goes behind the clouds, but even when the laser is sitting on a level surface off of the tripod it still tracks.

Topcon makes good lasers. Can pick up a normal self-leveling laser level (not a grade laser) with tripod and stick for ~$1300 or less. A good grade laser will run 2-3 timest that amount....