Gradeing laser

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BrandonV, Jan 4, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I put this thread in the heavy equip thread, but though some of yall might have one and not hang out in there. It basically a grading laser I am looking at, just looking for reviews and or alternatives. Thanks:usflag:

2. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

Laser levels are AWESOME. One guy runs around with the receiver and sets the grades, nobody at the transit looking through bushes and no yelling all day. The only thing you'll need is an undersstanding of the difference between height and elevation. This screws with peoples minds big time. Also, try to make a commitment to use either decimal numbers (10ths of feet) or inches. Architects like inches, engineers like decimal. Other than that, I love ours. We've gone through three in 10 years and can't live without them.

3. BrandonV

yeah i used to have one, but it got stolen... just curious what brand others use/ like

4. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

We've used the David White twice and then something else. The name eludes me but then again, they are all pretty much the same for landscaping. just don't bump them too much. They don't like that. And distance plays a big part of their accuracy. The further away, less accurate. Test hem every so often to make sure they are level and true.

5. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Spectra Trimble and a Topcon. They are great. Get yourself an adjustable storypole that reads in tenths. No reverse math to get the correct grade. You just slide the storypole to the benchmark and read off of it. Or just set flatline to zero and adjust from there. IT will save you ALOT of time and aggrivation. To me the storypole is more important than the level itself at times.

6. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Topcon all the way, tuff

7. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

Sunscaper,
    Could you describe the decimal method with no REVERSE math more for me? I have only used storypoles with inches and figuring the math forward and back. It can get confusing at times, so I am very interested in the decimal method.

Brandon,
    I have used a CST/Berger (which I think is also under the same company as david white these days) for a few years now. It has gotten me by, but that is as good a recommendation I will give the CST/Berger/David White. Two years ago, an employee threw it in the bed of a truck instead of in the cab and by the time they reached the job, it had $400 worth of damage. I am going to invested in a mid priced Topcon laser in the near future (unless this post leads me to another brand).

Thanks, aj

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You guize are sowh bad width the splelling. The forum has a spell chekcer. Yewz it!!

9. BrandonV

I just won a Spectra Precision Laser Level 1242 on ebay, woot. defiantly will be an upgrade over my old dewalt (RIP) since all my stuff was stolen the first time, i sort of wonder if this one is hot since it appears to be from a pawn shop... which is where all my stolen stuff turned up I'm sure. i kinda think we need to get rid of pawn shops, but that's a different thread

10. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Champion, LOL!!!
    I wsa thinkng the smae thign!