grading before laying sod...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kohls Landscaping Co, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Here's before and after pictures of a job we completed several years ago. We removed all the weeds and grinded out about 25 smaller stumps along with several larger ones. We brought in around 75 yards of topsoil and leaf/topsoil mix to do the final grade with a bobcat.

The distributor recommended using the leaf/topsoil mix directly under the soil to help provide nutrients to the newly laid sod.

The question that I have is that the following year where the new sod is, it looks level but when walking it is fairly bumpy. What's the best way when bringing in topsoil to ensure that it will settle level?

Go over it the soil w/the bobcat? Use a roller to compact the soil (if so, what size roller)? Not use the leaf/topsoil mix because the leaves will decompose unevenly?

ford backyard resized.jpg
  2. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

a year after...

ford backyard 2 resized.jpg
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

use a loose topsoil and a 4 foot baseball field rake.... rake it in and thoroughly wet... then use a drum roller... should come flat.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You can top dress with sand (on existing lawn). No more than a 1/4 inch at a time. Might take several dressings to get smooth. Might not be the proper method on kool:cool: season grasses.....:confused:
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use a steel harrow to level with.A few passes with the teeth down and multiple with the flat side down.This does a great job leveling.Then I use a landscape rake to finish grade.Last,roll the soil to compact it.Then lay sod and roll the sod into the soil.
    That said,no amount of leveling is going to help if the sod is cut in uneven thickness',which is often the case from my suppliers.