Grading job

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 20, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm proposing a job that is basically mine that will require a day with a Deere 200c or so. I don't have my rental book with me but you get the idea, good size excavator.

Yes this is something I can operate safely and productively but "productively" is my problem. I can go in and get a lot done with this machine quickly. I'm cutting down a 10' "cliff" for about 150-200'. At the top of the cliff I can only go back 20-40' depending on relation of a drainfield to the area. I'm just going to slope it and pin down Curlex with seed to pass inspection and allow the owners to move into the house. Later a wall will be built.

I'll be on the job for 3 days doing the above (2 of us)........excavator 1 day and either a T190 or TL150 skid for smoothing things out and moving soil 150' away from excavated site. Then seed + Curlex.

If I charge my hourly rate that in the "norm" is $50 per man hour I won't get much out of this job. I also don't plan to charge that cheap of a rate to operate equipment........both rented. I was thinking $1,000 per day on top of material/expenses. I'm beginning to get into more grading only I haven't had to price such stuff vs in the past being given a plan and told to go make it happen.

Thoughts? I'll be getting pictures and correct measurements tomorrow.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I question if two skidstear loaders can keep up that big an excavator.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like to me going down 10' for 200' with a width of 40' if that is correct is 2962 yards not including material swell (depending on composition you can add 10-20%). If you are having to move every bit of that with a CTL your in for more than three days of work. I would leave the 190 at home (as it appears to be an either or proposition). I doubt you will be able move that in one day with a 200 size machine even if it is good digging. If all of that material has to be moved twice, laid out for lawn installation I think you should be charging more. You may want to consider a 3 yard loader at least to move material and lay it out. Then use 150 to prepare seedbed. Obviously I don't know anything about what the site looks like but on the surface it looks to be a little more involved than what you have in mind.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

i'll do a sketch, give me a min....

5. tthomass

from N. VA

Here is the "jist" of it. I'm cutting off the cliff, not diggin a giant ditch or anything. The blue shows the cut I'll be making and the orange is the stake for the drainfield.

I can "knock down" the cliff in a day. Then the skid steer.......yes, I'm sure it will be a TL150 but if I can't get my hands on one the T190 will have to do.......so yeah, knock it down and the skid will move that day, the following and the thrid day.

Then seed and Curlex which won't take much time......if need be on day 4.

Again, pictures and measurements tomorrow. Thanks too for the help guys.

Attached Files:

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Note: additional to the grading of the hillside dumpsters will be delivered to haul away debris but at a later time as there is lots of other grading to do but it is all skid steer work. In the mean time we are piling for one large removal effort.

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like about 3,500.00 to me.
    Mike

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I assume the house is already built ?

A job like that I would walk down as far as you can and start raking the material back with a clean up bucket if the material is loose enough. Once you get the angle you want started at the bottom work your way to the top of the clift. By raking the material back it saves you from swinging on the hill once the materail is moved to the top then deal with it. If your good and have a fine touch you can grade the whole bank and tamp it down with the 200.

With out seeing the pictures it is hard to say what do to but you can get a 200 on a good angle before it starts sliding. I have had a 150 Hitachi almost on its nose being on a steep slope.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

On another note a 200 sized machine here runs at 110-120 dollars per hour CND so you should be factoring in for a 10 hour day atleast 1100-1200 dollars.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

A picture is worth a 100 words. I will wait for measurements but yes much different project.