grading old garden area for new lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gml9, Aug 9, 2004.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I'm planning on converting an old garden area back to a nice level grass field. It is currently grass now but has ruts in it. What is the best way to grade this area? I was thinking about renting a mini Bobcat and using the bucket to to level this. I'd be renting this. I own a tiller but this area is 75 x 150 so that option is out.
    What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

2. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

I just did this very thing for my neighbor a couple months ago. I used my Kubota tractor with a box blade on it. It worked real good. Knocked off the high spots and filled the low spots. Id say thats the equipment of choice for this job. A scraper blade would work also but not as well.

3. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Is it possible to turn the bucket down at the "good" angle to grade 3-4 inches of soil?? Not sure what attachments the rental places will have....I'll check into it...but otherwise this will be my approach. Thanks.

4. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

I did this 2 years ago. Just tilled and added the seed. Everything came in nicely. Just my two cents. Good luck.

5. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

Its possible but you would probably have better luck keeping the bucket slightly above level with the rear edge of all the way down and scraping backwards with the rear edge of the bucket (assuming what you are using has a square bucket and not round). You can grade an inch or two like this each pass.