Grading Wavy lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Feb 2, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

A customer was asking me about grading his lawn. He wants to get rid of the waves in the lawn because all the neighborhood kids play on his lawn and they usually always end up falling.

Here are some pics

Its 80x70

What type of machine would you recommend for this? Bobcat? how should i go about doing this?

IMG_0032.jpg

2. kemmer

Looks kind of flat in the pics but in person there wavy, Id also have to be renting a machine

IMG_0033.jpg

3. kemmer

Also when would the perfect time to do this, im guessing early early spring, bc he wants grass quickly, probly not going to sod it, but mabye hydro or just seeding

4. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

def use a skidsteer or small back hoe best time would be after spring clean up thatch the whole yard during the cleanup then overseed everything after u fix the low spots wit topsoil and seed. id recomend using penn mulch instead of hay

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get your self a Kubota B21 for the job or a machine with a large enough front bucket, because your going to be making a lot of trips...a skid steer is a good machine but it can really rough things up, still a possible consideration. The kubota can be gentler on grass you dont want to have to replace. We've always used our Kubota B21, smaller machine but itll hold a heaping load of Topsoil and just enough to keep the rakers busy while the machine gets another load. What we have done in the past to correct wavey lawns is use dead sand to level off and get the grade we want....then continue over top with topsoil. THe reason for not using fill dirt is basically because its never clean, it comes with all sorts of crap in it you have to rake out and get rid of...big boulders, wood, everything.

Anyways I am guessing it looks like you need at least a single axle of sand to get rid of that drop off and wavy lawn and generate a nice slope/fill in and prob. one or two single axles of topsoil. Not sure if you want to the entire yard or just enough to give it a gentle slope there. Hope this helped.

Jeff

6. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I'd use a compact tractor and a box blade to grade and level it. Then a landscape rake to finish it. Unless you're used to the machine and know what you're doing... It's a chore to grade with a bucket on anything.

7. kemmer

Do you think using a small tractor with a bucket will work well, and spread the topsoil level?

Should i also seed then put hay over it after?

8. hwm57

hwm57 LawnSite Member

We have had this type of project dozens of times. We till up the lawn to a depth of 5 inches then grade it out with a tractor and box blade. If the "waves" are severe you may have to till a second time after the initial grading.

9. kemmer

what type of tiller are you using, a walk behind tiller? that seems like alot of work

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

you may want to look in to what caused the waves . in my area alot of people sew the yard right after the septic system was installed and then it settles. is if this is the case you want to be careful around the cross over pipes that are buried just below the surface. i can't tell much from the pics if the waves are in a small area as in just a wave or two i would say bobcat of tractor is fine but if the whole back yard was just poorly graded, i would say have a small loader or dozer re grade the lot, he will be able to get a more even compaction and will most likely be a better man at grading that you being that you are having to rent(not to be synical but properly grading a yard like this can be a pita) this when he is done take a tractor and york rake and work it down