Grading? What to do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TriPLandscaping, Jul 20, 2007.

1. TriPLandscaping

TriPLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have this costumer that I have been doing quite a bit of work for. He has little holes all over his lawn. Not really holes but more of divets. Ranging from 1''x1'' to 5''x5'' Some bigger some smaller. He keeps complaining about how much it is a pain to mow his lawn because he keeps rolling his ankle. I need to find someway to fill these in. Its gonna be a pain just to throw dirt into them because there are so many. I was also thinking of a heavy roller. Starting from scratch is not on option either would be easiest tho. I also thought of him just having us cut his lawn makes sence to me. Need your input.

Dan.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How big is the yard? Sounds like you need a tractor with a loader and a guy with a shovel amd hand tamper. If you just throw dirt.....OOPS....soil in each divet they'll likely sink again, I'd fill them and inch or two high, tamp lightly and seed them, What else can you really do?????? Maybe if the soil is decent you could get a few rolls of matching sod and cut plugs to fill these spots, either way he's gotta water it.........Good luck

3. TriPLandscaping

Lawn is an average size lawn. Ya i meant topsoil. Its not worth bringing in a t.l.b. wheelbarrow will do. Its just the fact that there is so many of these spots randomly all over side lawn and from lawn. Its as if several deer walked across it when the topsol was fresh. lol I had first hand experience with that.

4. db682

db682 LawnSite Member

I have the same issue. Mine was caused by fairly large ant piles and moles(both just caved in after killing the culprits). I just purchased the 2 acre home and lot a couple of months ago and that was the first thing I notice while cutting. I wet the areas fairly good to help them finish settling and then packed them high with a good topsoil. I seeded them with my grass seed and millet mix to keep it from eroding and wet them again to pack it. The millet filled them in pretty fast and my grass seed went to work a couple of weeks later. They now look and feel fine. I just have to keep up with the rodents and ants to help control there destruction.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Can you bring in a few yards of soil, spread it over the needed areas and seed over the soil? Fast, easy, cheap.....

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe put down a little gravel then like an inch or two inches of topsoil to level it and hold in place??

7. TriPLandscaping

The reason bringing in topsoil is going to be a bit#h is because of all the various spots spread allover and the size they range from. Just going to be a mess if I spread some soil but will most likely be doing it.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar problem with bare ground depressions. We mixed a batch of spagnum moss and grass seed soaked in a covered bucket, to keep out light, for about a week.
    Every year we would wheel it about the yard and plop it down in the barespots where it would be growing before next week's mow. Eventually the lawn reaches perfection.
    Rolling right after ground thaws in the spring works good too.
    A quick fix is not always possible or desireable.

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh , there is no way around it - each spot needs to be individually repaired.

10. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

water the living heck out of it and roll it. you will be surprised if you measure results.
    put a little dirt in the worst ones.