grading

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Agape, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

What methods do you use to grade your projects?

Right now I'm using a 2x4 with a level attached to it, elevated on one end to achieve 1/4" per foot..........tedious.

2. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have always used 1x4's at various lengths for leveling the base gravel of patios since the 3.5" board is just about the height of the sand and pavers and makes a good guide for going around edges.

I have tried 2x4's but seemed to be too heavy and wouldn't screed the gravel as well.

When I level it with the board I hold a 4' level to the board to either make it level or to make sure that it's sloping. I usually have the bubble part way over the line to have it slope if there isn't a specific slope.

It does take awhile but that's the way I have always done it and had to teach myself. Maybe someone has a faster, better way.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This topic has come up numerously. Perhaps do a search for more feedback.

We use a string line and a line level. The string line provides a great visual to low and high spots.

We do not use a laser level. It doesn't provide the visual I like to have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with DVS, plus the set up time is very quick

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

6. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I always wanted to try accuscreed, how do you prevent a sag in the center of the screed pipe?

7. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

2x4s and string lines. All you need.
    set the string lines with a laser to ensure accuracy, screed to the line with the 2x4.

8. xtreem3d

An extra yoke in the middle.
    We use a dowel that slips into the pipe to "connect" the pipe so that you can screed over them and they remain flush to each other.

9. mybigdog

mybigdog LawnSite Member

Are you using 1/4 per foot for patios or plumbing?

10. xtreem3d

Not sure your asking me or not but yes 1/4" per foot on plumbing for the most part and 1/4" per foot on stuff that is probably 12 feet or less. On anything bigger we go 1/8" per foot. So on a 24 foot patio we would drop 3 inches. It seems like on the bigger patio's the water gets "momentum" where as on a short run it might not drain off as fast...