Grainger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i was cleaning up the office today and found a 2007,2006,2005 grainger catalog's, and never used them since i opened my company in 2004. does any one use them for anything? im thinking of just getting rid of the cats to Free up space.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

belts...

I haven't had the need yet, just found out this year and the nearest outlet is a 40 mile drive so I have to make up a list when I go or it's not worth it.

But they make dang good belts, a lot cheaper than OEM, I know of a big tobacco company uses them on their factory machines.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

They have a LOT of stuff in their catalog for sure... But for the green industry, not so much. Used grainger a lot when I was working at a local greenhouse in the winters. My dad also used it a lot for his sheet metal fabrication/machine shop. Sometimes they are nice to have on hand just for reference too. Paper catalogs are still easier to find things in than online, IMO.

4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

we have one in town here and they keep it stocked pretty good, every once in a while I will buy something from them

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Just recycle them....or use them as doorstops! :laugh:
    I cant believe they'd send out expensive thick catalogs anymore.

They probably don't, because grainger.com has gotten to be so much better than it used to be.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

UPS shipping seems really cheap with Grainger though. I ordered a few entry rugs and had them shipped, and it was like $5 and something to ship these 4 foot long heavy little boxes.

7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have been using Granger for 20 years, Also McMaster Carr, right in NJ. two very nice suppliers. I get tickets to Dover Busch races from my sale rep. One time i did have a problem with some new belts we purchased. But they were on a 125 hp. fan motor on a HVAC unit, and that was ten years ago. I use them every week.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This Summer, I was looking for Tiger-disk, flap wheel sanding disks. I use them in my angle grinder for blade sharpening. Somebody had given me one, and it worked well. The Norton brand disk I found elsewhere didn't last nearly as long, and wasn't as well balanced.

The only place I could find one listed was Granger. I found it on their web page. A distribution warehouse isn't too far from me, so I called. They regarded my call as an anomaly, but did accommodate my request as a "courtesy order." What the man was saying, "... we don't take these kinds of phone orders in the normal course of doing business, but I will take your order and fill it on this occasion." I was given the impression my request was out of ordinary, and not to make it a practice.

For those who regularly use their services, do you have a business account with them? Do you have to do a certain amount of business every year, quarter, or ??? to keep an account?

If I knew they would take my orders, I probably would order more from them.

9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Yes Roger, you need a account to order over the phone, but they do have walkin stores. The two close to me both have walkin counters. some of the stores do not carry all, and might have to be sent out to from another facility.

I do facility work and it is all done by PO..