GrandStand: New Height Adjustment

Discussion in 'Toro' started by jbell36, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i was looking at the new 36" grandstand picture and noticed the height adjustment is a little different, looks like the handle is on the right side of the machine instead of on the control panel, just wondering about the details...toro, do you have any pictures of this? also why the change?

2. The Toro Company

The Toro Company LawnSite Senior Member

jbell36-
    Included are photos of a 2010 40" GrandStand (same "chassis" as the 36" model) and a 2010 48" GrandStand. The design of the deck lift system for the 36" and 40" models is different than the system used on the 48" - 60" models, primarily due to space considerations on the small unit (i.e. - less space for deck lift links between the frame tubes, etc.).

The 2010 deck lift system on the larger machines operates essentially the same as the 2009 version, except that mechanical extension springs (visible beside the control tower) have replaced gas springs as the means of providing lift assistance. The extension springs improve longevity and provide the added benefit of adjustability (to vary the amount of lift force required at the handle).

-The Toro Company

lcb2000_gs74536_34r_45.jpg

lcb2000_gs74538_34r_06.jpg

3. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

In my decision-making process (36/40 vs 48) I am trying to extrapolate dimensions until they are released. Can you tell me, in the photos above of the 36" and 48", are the fuel tanks and the fold-down stand-on platforms interchangeable on each, in other words identically sized? Thank you.

4. The Toro Company

mysteryman -
    The fuel tank is exactly the same. The size of the operator platform (the area where the operator stands) is also the same, however, the platforms are not interchangeable due to differences in how the platforms connect to the frames.
    -The Toro Company

5. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, you've answered my question.

6. jbell36

from KANSAS

uh oh, do i see a true floating deck on the 2010 models (chains)?!!!!...if so then i'm pretty excited, just wanted to let u know that...

thanks for the response on this subject, AND you guys also contacted me about the speed issues, i really appreciate that...doesn't look like it's going to be too long until toro is THE best stand-on on the market, things are looking good toro...

7. jbell36

from KANSAS

one more thing toro, on the deck lift arm i would almost say the smaller units are more ideal than the bigger units strictly because there is less of a chance to catch it on anything like a swingset, which i did earlier this year and bent it all up...the arm as you know looks like an "L" and grabs on to anything that gets under it where as if it was just a straight lever it would either just slip off of it or just raise the deck...just wanted to throw that in there for what it's worth

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you please clarify if the engine is now frame mounted instead of mounted to the deck, or not? I would think that would be a complicated thing to engineer, but would allow the deck to float easily.

Other lawnsite threads were debating this.

9. The Toro Company

Bruce 32 - The engine on all 2010 models are mounted in the same fashion as the model year 2009 design, on the deck.

-The Toro Company

10. jeremy's lc

jeremy's lc LawnSite Member

Mr. toro what kind price is on the 40'' grandstand. Do you know the release date.