Grandstand specifications

Discussion in 'Toro' started by mysteryman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. The Toro Company

The Toro Company LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce32,

You indicated anything with more than a couple of inches of overhang creates issues. I think it might be worth at least seeing and perhaps demoing the 40" and 36" GrandStand before eliminating them from consideration. We won't debate with you the difficulties of mowing at 1.0" - 1.5" HOC, it's a challenge.

-The Toro Company

2. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

It's 20 days later my dealer still has no 2010 literature.

3. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

TORO-

A clarification request regarding the posted (Toro site) specifications for the GrandStand mowers. Under 'Adjustable Discharge Baffle' is it true that the compact models require tools? ...and under the 'Spindle Bearings' is it true that the compact models do not have greasable ball bearings? ... or are these typos?? Thank you.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

it does say just say ball bearings...

but i am correct in catching that you would want greasable ball bearings? i personally think the less maintenance that you need to do to a mower the better, so the less things to grease means less maintenance.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

Greasable bearings last longer.

6. mysteryman

lilweeds is correct. I learned that lesson having had non-greasable bearings on my truck's universal joints...they disintegrated, turned into a rusty powder. Lubrication is always a good thing, any metal-to-metal points of contact should be provided a bit of oil or other lubricant (synthetic) from time to time to prevent metal wear (and thus sloppiness of the movement). Other than attracting some dirt/dust, the lubricant is a good investment.

7. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

8. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

Well let's put it this way on the 48" deck you can set the rear wheels to the outter setting which in turn will eliminate the trim edge. So no his concerns aren't justified with every mower. IMO the 52 doesn't really have enough of a trim edge, but it works for me because up here I general cut from 3-4 inches.

The 60 has anti scalp wheels and the Exmark has them as an option if you feel you need them.

9. mysteryman

check out this YouTube Exmark vantage Maintenance clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sa2XHR-hxc

It states that the spindles are greaseless. This makes me wonder if the possible typo (see above post) regarding the listing of greasless for the compact models is maybe an error in that the full size frame models left off the word greaseless. I look forward to Toro's reply to my questions above.

Also, unrelated, has anybody noticed the ground speed control of the Exmark Vantage compared to that of the Toro GrandStand? The Toro uses a dash-mounted lever while the reference bar of the Exmark Vantage moves and locks into position tightening-up the amount of 'throw' of the two control levers. This can be seen in a different YouTube video on the Exmark Vantage.

10. The Toro Company

The Toro Company LawnSite Senior Member

mysteryman -

The specs are correct. Due to the very compact nature of the 36" and 40" decks and how the decks mount to the GrandStand carrier frame, there isn't adequate room / space to use the cam lever adjustment featured on the larger decks. The baffle is still adjustable, but it is secured using hardware so a couple turns of a socket wrench is required.

Yes, we use sealed spindles on the smaller decks. The 36" and 40" TURBO FORCE decks are the same decks used on our mid-size walk-behinds. Those machines have featured sealed spindles for the past four years, and they have performed very well.

-The Toro Company