Granite edging job i did

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 4, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

its at my house, this corner is one that ive been wanting to do somehting with for a long time and with my constant gaining knowledge on here i use that in making plans for this place. It used to be where we dumped all our leaves for one year and had a slowly dying honeysuckle in it. So, i started by taking dads truck and pulling out the honeysuckle, and made my bed edge design. At first i was just going to have a regular edge like just cut into the bed but, we've had these stones for awhile and i figure they would look good here. So i used them and made a nice edge around the bed with them. then ive been figuring out how i want the ground to be shaped in the bed (mid high point, sloping back to front, level, etc.). Well, i wasn't entirly sure what i was doing and as youll see not all the stone are perfect leveled but, i like the look, it looks more natural that way. Tell me what you think as well as maybe some plant suggestions. It will be drip irrigated and gets a lot of sun!!

i didn't entirely know what i was doing but, i think it looks good, probably just a run of the mill thing for most of you but im proud of it and enjoyed doing it!

6 pics!

corner before.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

Pic two, of honeysuckle almost out

corner before 2.jpg

3. mcwlandscaping

in progress.......

IMG_0640_2_1.jpg

4. mcwlandscaping

pic four..........

IMG_0639_1_1.jpg

5. mcwlandscaping

pic 5........current state

IMG_0644_2_1.jpg

6. mcwlandscaping

Pic 6......current state

IMG_0645_3_1.jpg

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

looks good.........i assume you just set it in the soil? that will work okay but often you would dig and pour a small footer and set each stone in a layer or mortar adn then fill the joints........somtimes this is done bordering an asphalt driveway for example.

get a couple pics from the distance to really see a good scale of things and better plant selections can be made..........also, what is a rough budget for plant material?

8. mcwlandscaping

I am paying for it, ide honestly buy a $300 tree if it would fit right there and would look good.

9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad thats not a customers house , Ditton on mortoring in that edging. Any freezing and thawing can make that stuff move all around. Not to mention when they get bumped into with the mower.

10. mcwlandscaping

what type of morter, could you give some more insight on how to do this the right way? thanks,

mike