granite slab water feature

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by PaperCutter, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Very nice. I have been called several times to look at these types of features when the water wouldn't sheet properly. Not a problem for you.

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks!

The pan that I bought seems pretty bulletproof. I was a little bummed that it's not perfectly straight across (came with a bit of a bow to the lip that sits on the granite) but nothing a little black caulk won't fix. What little water gets back there now will get caught by the liner anyhow.

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Turned out real nice, Dave. What are you using for algae control?

4. PaperCutter

haven't settled on anything yet. My brother has a product under his name so I'll probably start there

5. PaperCutter

oh, and we ended up using a 2700 gph pump. With the ball valve choked back to maybe 80% it's about perfect. I tried it full on and it still looked good, but I didn't love how much it splashed.

The back of the feature doesn't look as tight as I like them to but luckily you'll never see it unless you're back there. The threaded inlets for the stainless trough are on the back, not the bottom, so I have a 1" S/T coupler and then a S/S 90 pointed down. I wish it didn't project so far out - would've loved to have just gone straight down - but again, you have to walk behind it to see it. It is what it is.

6. nortonlawncare

nortonlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I want one
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. raggs

raggs LawnSite Member

Looks great.. turned out real good. An drop in iongen would be great for your feature.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. raggs

raggs LawnSite Member

What stainless trough did you end up using?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PaperCutter

First I've seen of an iongen. Do they actually work?

I still haven't gotten the invoice for the parts but as soon as I do, I'll let you know the manufacturer of the trough. It's a nice unit.

10. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Ionizers do an excellent job of controlling algae and are recommended for use especially on indoor decorative water features as they will also eliminate other pathogens such as Legionnaire's disease. The sole caveat being, contrary to what the manufacturer's claim, scientific proof exists that these devices can be very harmful to fresh water organisms, from the beneficial bacteria to fish. So their use is not advisable in a life-supporting water feature.