Granny on a ZTR!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve9, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i saw the funniest thing today! Im driving down the road and I see I swear a 80 YO lady driving a ZTR on the common grounds of a residential Neighborhood! She had make up and lipstick and a little visor on and she was going to town. Oh yeah, polyester floral shirt and all. She was at the entrance of the neighborhood so I figured she lived there on the corner and was just cutting behind her house or something. Nope, as I get to a cross street I see a big ol white buick pulled onto the side of the road with a trailer hooked up!!! I couldnt believe it! I never laughed so hard. Until i realized she had a nicer mower and trailer than me... :blush:

2. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

That's funny. She fits the description of most of my customers... now they are competition.

3. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Hey, ya gotta supplement that Social Security somehow :p

Jason

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

ZTR = Zero Turn Retirement. :p

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's Funny! LMAO!

6. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

****.. I saw an 80 year old lady workin with what looked like a 48" walkbehind.

7. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

It is not so uncommon. Older people have more money than younger. I have seen at least 5 old women over 65 on Scag eXmark or Ferrises. I also know a neighborhood that has no home in it that is less than 5 million dollars and not smaller that 15,000 sq. ft. every lot is 3-5 acres. Believe it or not a lot of the owners own big ZRT mowers and do their own lawns. I made the mistake when I was starting in the business of approaching one of them. I was going to ask what they charged. He said he would not rent his machine. I exclaimed I did not want to rent it but wanted to know how much he charged or how he charged so I could figure my yard and potentially higher him. He then was offended and said that he lived here and was not for hire. I exclaimed “You bought a 72” Scag for your own home.” He said yeah it was a cost and time factor. He liked to do his own yard. But did not want to take along time or pay some one else to do it. Hahaahaha, who cares so he does his own yard with a 72” Scag. How was I supposed to know?

8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Thats hillarious a homeowner with a 72", I wonder how often he scalps?

9. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner with a 72" Scag and I don't scalp. It's all about saving time and having fun while mowing :D . I mow my 2 acre yard in 45 minutes at a leisurely pace. It used to take me 2 hours with a 48" walk behind.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I know a 75 year old woman who bought a 52" wright sentar to cut 1/2 acre. Because it was the only machine she could climb on to. I almost wrecked the truck first time I saw her. She won't let anybody touch here lawn. $6500 lawn mower to cut a 1/2 acres. But then she did have a BMW in the drive too.