Granual Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, Mar 23, 2001.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

Need to know two things. 1) How do you guys charge, putting down granual fertilizer? 2) How and where do you look into getting licensed for spraying fertilizer and weed killer? Thanks for any help.

2. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Hey!

I'm getting into ferilizer as well. You'll need
    to contact the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture. It will
    cost you about a 100 bucks to take the test. You must
    get them to mail the books, etc. YOu study all the info,
    then take the test up in Columbus. The test is given
    every Wed. at 9am.

I'm going with the Scotts five step program here
    in Central Ohio. Going to price it by the square
    foot and how long I think it will take me to
    spread the stuff. I'm going to do spot weeding with
    a backpack sprayer and a broadleaf pesticide. I'm
    going to do that for free if it's a small problem.

I'm just getting in, and I think this is the best
    way to do it to start out with. I thought about using
    an econonmy and premium program scheme. Say....use
    an off-brand fertlizer for the economy program, but
    that will only lead to problems I think. I'm going with
    Scotts as my only program. I want the lawns to look
    good, so why not use the best?? I still think I can
    beat most prices using Scott's, plus it should look
    better.

I give the customer a total estimate for the job. No
    messing around with 50 for the first treament, 30
    for the next, etc. Average it out and give
    them a total price for the complete program. No need
    to confuse them.

Jb

3. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Seems both of you guy's are located in Ohio, home of LESCO.
    I would recommend contacting your nearest location and they should be able to offer quite abit of assistance.

As for using Scotts-4-step..Do you give money to your other competitors so they can market against your business?

mike

4. i just got my pesticide cert. i had to go to the coop extension and take a 33 hr course. that cost me 285. then i went and took the tests for another like 25? the way i charge for fertilizing is i go by the lawn cutting. if i charge 30 to cut the lawn then it is 60 to do one application. 2 aplications would be 120. 3 would be 180? and so on and so forth. my programs this year are ten applications plus a soil test. 9 fert / pesticides 1 liming 1 soil test which i am gonna do myself i think.
    again that is just a rough number though. i mean i like to get 2x a cutting. some guys get 3 or 2.5 you gotta figure it out.

5. gway

gway LawnSite Member

KIDS...KIDS...KIDS...

THATS WHAT THIS SITE IS ALL ABOUT, HELPING OUT THOSE IN DYER NEED. LIKE THE MAN MENTIONED BEFORE. SCOTTS IS THE ENEMY!!!! MAYBE YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF WORKIN WITH A COMP FIRST FOR A YEAR AND LEARN ABOUT THE DOS AND THE DONTS. LOOK UP YOUR LOCAL LESCO DEALER NEAR YOU SINCE THEY ARE BASED OUT OF OHIO!!! THE GUYS THERE KNOW THE GREEN INDUSTRY WELL ENUFF AND POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WITH WHAT TO PUT DOWN, WHEN AND HOW MUCH. AS FAR AS $$ CHARGING YOUR CUSTS GOS...ILL TELL YOU RIGHT NOW YOU WONT PICK UP ANYONE WITH $$ LIKE 60 PER APP. WE CHARGE FAIR MARKET PRICE OF ABOUT 35-37 PER APP BASED ON 7500SQFT FOR A 5 APP SEASON WE CHARGE ABOUT 185 AND OFFER 10% OFF FOR PRE PAY CUSTS. GET BACK TO ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU SHOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT...

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using Lesco brand for about 2 yrs now and like it. I just let them tell me what I need for that peticular time of year.

7. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Guys.

FYI. Ohio is the home of SCOTTS as well. HQ is
    just outside Columbus.

5000 sq. ft. job I charged a lady a 100 dollars
    this week. I've got 50 dollars in the fertilizer (4 steps), so that leaves me 50 bucks for about 20 minutes work. I can turn a pretty nice profit using Scotts. Plus, it works much better than the liquid junk.

This is my first year doing the fertlizer thing. I figure I'll break in with Scotts, and work from there.

Jb

I will check into Lesco though. How do their prices
    compare with Scotts? Is it as good? The closest Lesco
    dealer to me is about 35 minutes up the road.

8. 60 dollars is too much? how can that be? i have to pay like 10 dollars for a bag of fertilizer if not more, my gas, my time, my insurance, the time it takes to post the property, my liscence, my knowlege, i mean why bother doing chem apps for that cheap when you run the risk of somebody saying "oh my dog got sick and died, and its all your fault" chem apps are risky business. that is why it is better now to sell IPM. this is how my friends charge for chemicals, they may not do very many places, but they sure as heck get a good amount of money for doing it. so think about all that you have to do and buy to charge a meisley 35 dollars? i get 60 for properties that are like 10M maybe a little more. but also i am not going and telling my customers how much they pay per app. i just go and write up the contract with a flat rate, when everything is gonna be done and that is that. i think my highest app is somewhere around like 150 or 175? for like 1 acre or so. it isnt hard work, but it is legally risky.
    oh yeah and also if you are looking into brands of fertilizer check out "lebanon" i think it is? that is a real good one. i have been to lesco b4 and looked at some stuff there, wasnt really happy with what i saw so i just left.