Granular ant bait

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mpickel, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mpickel

mpickel LawnSite Member

What have you found to be the most efficient application method of applying granular ant bait to large areas? (1.5 lbs per acre, say 20+ acres)

At first I thought about a broadcast spreader attached to an ATV, but won't the application rate be greater than the 1.5 lbs per acre...

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Set your spreader on the lowest possible setting. Then spread the bait in a 10-12' circle around the fire ant mounds. Fire ants don't enter and exit the colony from the mound but from tunnels radiating 4-5 feet from the mound. But only do so when you know the ants are foraging. One trick I've heard of that works great is to throw a handful of cheetos out around the mounds. Wait about a half an hour then go back and check on the cheetos. If the ants are actively foraging you'll see them. You use cheetos because the ants like them and being bright orange they are easy to find and check later. I've seen the ants eat all the cheesy part off them and all that is left looks like white packing peanuts.
    But if the ants aren't in active forage mode the baits will lose their attractant too fast and you might not get good control.
    But the point is being with a bait you don't necessarily have to blanket the entire property with x # of grains per thousand square feet. If the ants are foraging they'll find the bait and bring it back to the colony.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.herdseeder.com/gt77atv.php

http://www.extension.org/pages/Fire_Ant_Control_Made_Easy_Video:_Fire_Ant_Baits_for_Pastures

Herd Spreaders are made for just that job and with 20 acres it will pay for itself in a few years. Advion baits at one time had a deal for a free Herd Spreader if you bought enough Bait.

Pasture Ant control is a big market here in Florida's Cattle country. Most ranchers sub this work out to Custom applicator who apply the baits in strips with Herd Spreaders and ATV. If applied in dry weather, worker ants will forage up to a 100 ft and bring the bait back to the colony. The strip application is very effective during the dry season since the baits will stay viable until they get wet. Aerial application on very large pastures has been very effective. In my Area I do pasture application in early March and October as a custom Applicator. The Larger the area treated the longer the control. Some Clients only have treatment done once a year in the spring on the very larger ranches and get control for the whole year.

Yes Guys this is one of those Niche Market from my other thread that I am in but didn't tell because the Margin is very low as well as the demand being poor. But the need is there and after a few caves are killed by Fires Ants the Demand seems to rise.

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Ric
    I have used top choice and have a problem getting control in sandy soils
    Is Advion a better choice?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scweedman

I just did a small book about that in the "Ants Won't die" thread. Top Choice doesn't work on sandy soil. Advion has no residual. Neither one is worth the cost IMHO. But they do have there place. I type with one finger, Read the other thread and the Niche Marketing Thread. If you still have questions Just E mail your Credit Card number and I will give you private tutoring.

6. mpickel

mpickel LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric. I'm was thinking atv for this application, but couldn't find a hoper for the job.

Extinguish is what is beineg required, and the property is actually closer to 400 AC. It is all around waterways and parks, so aerial application is out of the equation.

I'm thinking one atv could cover 15-20 ac per day, because of the heat we have about a 4 hour window for application.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

mpickel

Heat shouldn't be a problem if Humidity is low and you have no heavy morning dew. Fact is you can apply baits all day long and the Ants won't forage for them until the surface temperature drops to below 90 degrees in the late afternoon. Fire Ants will forage up until just after sun set and it only takes a small amount in each colony to do the job. If you get on the right schedule or window of Opportunity in the spring and fall Heat will not be a problem at all. Although my last posts in other threads are no where near a complete education on ant control you might want to read them. A few years back I posted some more complete information about Fire Ants describing each variety and their morphology and Identification. I am not going to retype it or even take the time bump those threads. I no longer teach college and only post off the top of my head doing no research