1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Granular Broadleaf control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Question for anyone who wants to answer it. Is there any control of brodleaf weeds when the granule misses the weed and ends up on the soil or thatch? I know you are suppose to apply it to damp or wet turf for better adherence . Would I be better off spot spraying the visible weeds and and then put down a straight fertilizer?
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Liquid treatment of broadleafs is a much better.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No, the herbicide has to stick to the weed. Yes, spraying will work better.
  4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

weed + feed containing 'clopyralid' has some minimal effectiveness through the soil, if you can still find the stuff. I thought 'dicamba' also has some soil effectiveness as well. But yes, it works much better if it sticks to the weeds, however you'd be much better off spraying.

In my opinion weed+feed product most likely contribute to the majority of uneccesarily applied herbicides.
  5. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all!! I will be spraying.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you on this one. need it or not, everything gets it when applied this way.
  7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

...unless your regions post weed killer is absorbed by the roots...(atrazine)
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Like lilmarvin said,....the old Confront had soil activity. Did not require adhering to the leaf. Worked well, just need high temps to work.

It's no longer labled for non-commercial turf though. And the newer Confront isn't supposed to be as good.

If someone could come up with a granular post weed control that didn't need it to stick to the leaf.....
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I tried the granular Momentum w/fert that Lesco sells. We got started on a dewey lawn, then the sun came out 1/2 way through and dried up all of the friggin' dew!! Couldn't stop at that point, so we kept on going. The part that was applied while still wet killed in about a week, and the dry part was watered in a day or two later by rain, and it killed in about a month. Did nothing at all, then the leaves just shriveled and died. Took forever and a day, but it worked.
  10. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

lesco's 20-0-20 with atrazine works quite well, two apps knocked out everything expect the pesky buttonweed