Granular fertalizer pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B & S Lawn Care, Apr 9, 2001.

1. B & S Lawn Care

B & S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm getting more and more jobs dealing with the granular fertalizers. How is the best way to price these? By the sq. ft., by the bag + hrly charge? Do you charge any different when you drop instead of broadcast? Some estimating expertise would be appreciated.

2. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

My way may not be the best way but has is simple enough and takes all the measuring out. I charge 5-10 more than my normal cut would be. If the cut is $25 I would charge 30-35 for applying fert. I know many that like to get the exact measurement of the prop but time is money.

Houston

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi, Welcome to the board.
    Pricing is a big topic here and so is advice so I'll give you my 2 cents to add to the price.
    I am assuming that you know the regulations for Texas as this is the state you live in. Some states require that you are certified and licensed to apply any type of fertilizer or pest/herbicides. Big fines if not. Well worth getting the cert as it is a profitable business if you do it right.
    Enough preaching about certs.
    To responsibly apply fertilizer you have to know how big the yard is. If you overapply you are creating many problems for the lawn as well as for yourself, not to mention the environment. Time is money - correct statement. Your time mowing this lawn will increase greatly or decrease greatly, if you apply the wrong type or wrong amount of fertilizer. Overapply and you will have so much top growth that you wont be able to keep up. Overapply at the wrong time, with the wrong type and you will burn the lawn out. Both instances result in losing time = losing money.
    Unless you are very good and have lots of time I wouldn't even consider a "drop" spreader. Broadcast spreader with commercial products are the way to go. You dont want the homeowner to call you in 3 weeks to show you his zebra striped lawn courtesy of you.
    I hate giving generalizations for pricing to someone who is not in my market. With this being said I will tell you that in MY market a 10,000 sq ft lawn fertilized with granular fert. 4 to 5 times a year generally gets 50 to 60 dollars per application. I include 1 spot liquid weed control treatment in the total. The bag of pre-em (first ap here) covers 12,500 feet when correctly applied. The bag costs about 12.50. That equals 1.00 per 1000 sq ft. Add on license, insurance, gas, spreader, travel time and the reason you are poing it-PROFIT. I get aprox. $5.00 per 1000 sq ft fertilized. Your market may be different.
    Hope this helped. Good Luck.