Granular Fertilizer and No Rain

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by saktate, Dec 2, 2007.

1. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

What are the consequences of fertilizing four acres and missing the rain in the forecast?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Be more specific please.

Was it a 'Weed and feed'?
    Or was it just regular fertilizer?
    If it was just regular fert, did it have a % of slow release nitrogen on the label ......or indicated on the bag?

3. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

I am using the Scott's line of fertilizer on my property and recently spread by broadcast the Bonus S Weed and Feed. It still gets close to 80 F here and the instructions say water immediately. I've been fortunate in the past but missed the rain this time. It's been four days. Do you pros use granular on large properties and if so, do you count on mother nature?

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I think I can speak for most other lawn professionals as well when I say that granular weed controls, or weed-n-feeds are not used very widely, especially on vast tracts of acreage like yours.

They're simply not as economical for the pro to buy as the combination of the slow-release granular fertilizer, and the liquid weed control spray. The pros have the equipment to make this combo be applied to the turf efficiently.

When you applied your weed-n-feed, do you do it when the turf was wet? (Such as in the morning, when the dew was on the ground?) If you did, that would help your % of weed control success, despite the lack of rain. The fact that it's only in the 80's is helping you. If it were hotter, I think you'd be in REAL trouble.
    My theory is that you'll still get the 'feed', but it will just be delayed a bit. And your 'weed' will depend on what conditions you applied it in. The need for rain after the application, I believe, is for AFTER the fertilizer has had a chance to 'cling' to the weeds for a day or so. If the turf is growing well there now, it should be inconsequential whether it rained or not. :waving:

5. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I think your theory is well demonstrated on my property.