Granular Growth Regulator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dave k, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anybody recommend a good granular growth regulator to use mainly on shrubs to keep the new growth from growing a mile a minute after they are trimmed? Also would like to use it on my emerald green zoysia, even though the zoysia is slower in growth than 419 Bermuda.
  2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

It was too late this year for me to try it, but a product called cutless by "sepro" sounds good. Granular for woody orns and groundcovers. Might be a little expensive but i have to weigh labor hours vs. cost. Hope this helps?
  3. dave k

Thanks Harley D, I'll look it up on the web, what HD do you ride, I have a 06 HD Deluxe black & white, Love it!
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Paclobutrazol-can't remember the product name. Scotts used to make it as granular, but sold the product to another company. Lesco markets the liquid form--I think as "Trimit".
  5. Agri-AFC

Agri-AFC LawnSite Member

Cutless is an excellent choice for the ornamentals. Anderson's makes a product called Governor...the only granular product based on Primo. You can go to to see all of thier products.
  6. dave k

Thanks everyone, you all have been most helpful, I saw a add for one in the Turf South magazine sometime ago, but forgot the name.
  7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

What is a ballpark price for a bag of Governor? Sounds like a great product but I'm guessing it isn't cheap.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Governor yet? I know the Primo has a good reputation but haven't talked to anyone who has used Governor yet. Any ideas how it would work on St. Augustine down here?

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a single test plot last summer right next to conventional PrimoMaxx. Usually I'd add some chelated iron to the PrimoMaxx but didn't so as to not obscure the results too much. Of course the Governor contained fert which is probably why I like the granular results better.

Both worked equally well by our casual observations however we didn't bother to collect & weigh the clippings as a real scientific study would.

At $4/M the 5-0-10 .055% Governor does cost more money but you need to remember we're also applying a half pound of SOP Potassium & a quater pound of N that regular PrimoMaxx doesn't include.

Overall I was impressed enough to recommend Governor whenever I see the correct demographics for it. Small turf areas, liquid restrictions, public athletic fields, NY Neighbor Notification, or even highly visible sites may all be good candidates for Governor. Some folks see a sprayer & wig-out. The spreader doesn't seem to impart the same fears. For instance the lawn outside of a posh downtown office building where clippings disposal is an issue but the public perception of spraying is a concern would be a prime candidate for Governor.