1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Granular iron

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 22, 2007.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Has anyone used granular iron 0-0-0 20% iron mixed in with the fert? I was thinking about using this on my seasonal contracts.

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I did try a bag of granular iron on a lawn 2 seasons ago. The lawn looked great but the costs were a bit high. You also have to make sure you get that stuff off the pavement or it will stain big time. I switched to a liquid iron product with good results.
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Yea i was looking at liquid to but i cant run it through my permagreen sprayer
  4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I've mixed it in with my ferts before. I couldn't tell if it made a huge difference. I think I added roughly a bag to the acre.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The source of the iron matters which isn't mentioned here.

There is a LOT of dumbing down at the selling & end user level. When I see a 20%+ Nitrogen with less than 5% Fe I have to laugh at the waste of money.

The N:Fe ratio should be 3 or 4:1 so a 5% Fe product shouldn't really exceed 15% Nitrogen of the iron will not make a noticable difference in turf quality or color.
  6. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

20% granular iron wont make a diff. in color to grass or plants? is that what your trying to say TREMOR
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

No, he's saying Nitrogen :Iron ratio in fertilizers shouldn't be more than 3/4:1

I sprayed my own lawn and 1 test plot this year w/ ferromec ac a liquid iron by Gordons through my PG Magnum. Had no problem and nice green up.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's interesting. Good info to know. Unfortunately; the blends of fert I've used with Fe blended in, have all fallen below that ratio of N, to Fe. I don't know of many blends of fert that my suppliers offer that would conform with that ratio. Darn you Steve. Now you're gonna have me obsessing on that. :laugh:
  9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

It was driving me crazy too Victor so I made up some 12-0-10 50% PSCU 4% FE that we'll stock this summer.
    Guys in the Metro NY area hate cutting grass but they still want to apply something & see some green for the effort.
    I can't stand seeing them applying 5-10-31 since the potash comes from MOP which is salty as all heck.
    What really kills me is these 24%N products with anywhere from 2-5% FE which is just about as good as having NONE. The green we see from these is from the N.
    A straight 20% FE from Iron Sucrate is nice but with zero Nitrogen we run the risk of losing turf density. It's also crazy expensive for what it is.