1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

granular only sub out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by causalitist, Mar 26, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

you guys know anyone who does only granular weed control, dimension pre-em and trimec, surge, confront etc post-em? i plan to sub out all my fert/weed control requests to this company here that claims to use only granular weed control/fert. its a small business with a hundred accounts or so and he says he just has 2 trucks that go out and do the post-em fert after it rains.

he claims that since he is a small company he is able to do em when its wet, with much lower cost since fert with post-em is only a few more bucks a bag.
    my guess is he would be putting down post em with every fert unless no weeds, 5 apps per season.
    should i expect this to work? i like his prices and it must work for him, but the last thing i want is dissapointed customers.

thanks guys.
  2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I do a 5 ap granular program. I do however spot treat. Of course the healthier the turf the less spot treating I need to do. I use Anderson products and I am happy with the results I get, as are my customers.
  3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

No serious professional I know of uses dry/granular weed control. Good luck with it if they do.
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Granular weed control = wizzin into the wind

Customer is the one who gets wizzed on.
  5. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

This will be my 3rd year full time in the business. That being said, I didnt think it made sense to invest in the equipment necessary for liquid aps until I was sure I was going to continue doing aps. It does suck doing all the spot spraying with the bp tank to keep weeds in check. I will be upgrading to liquid aps as soon as it makes the right business sense to do so. Overall my customers are satisfied with their yards. Especially when they notice their neighbors yards growth patterns changing with the big chem lawn companies and the ones I do keeping a level pattern of growth and green throughout the season. This has nothing to do with dry verses wet, but it does with the amount of N I use and when I use it and the amount of K I use which helps their turf deal with stress better. What I'm trying to say is I am a professional who does care about my customers yards and do a better job than many keeping them healthy!
  7. causalitist

ok, i have been told granular doesn't do anything if its applied to a dry lawn..
    i realize the big money is a huge tank and bulk liquid chem purchases etc.. and only granular is childsplay..
    the point is:
    i will be subbing out 10 accounts to this guy...
    i said he is a tiny company, with not that many accounts so he is able to apply ONLY ON DAYS WHEN LAWNS ARE WET.

none of you guys said anything about that aspect of the question, and to me, having known granular is useless on dry lawns, that was the main question i was asking.. not "granular vs liquid" .. because we all know liquid is better.

i guess im just looking for someone knowledgeable on here that has tried applying granular to lawns after a good rain, and can report on the results.

for some reason i think this guy knows what he is talking about because he totally acknowledged that granular does jack, but seemed to think 5 apps applied to wet lawns did the trick. ... for $2/bag more than reg fert.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

why not use a snergy sprayer or a 25 gallon spray boom set up for your mower?
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I dont know what he is using, but liquid gets complete coverage. Maybe you should reconsider and use someone established if you are subbing it, why put your name on an inferior product just my 2 cents. I do it right or i dont do it at all.
  10. causalitist

is granular really that bad? im not convinced until someone who has put it down on a wet lawn tells me it still doesnt work at all. im sure someone has done this .