1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

granular polymers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by naughty62, Feb 8, 2008.

1. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Does anybody have any experience with incorporating these granular water aborbing polymers .I guess most have to be tilled in . Just wondering if it would worth the expense on new beds and lawns with porous soil ?
  2. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think he's talking about the polymer crystals that absorb like 100 times their weight in water. I know they are used a lot in potted planters and hanging baskets, but other than that I'm not too sure. I too have wondered if it would be effective in sandy soils. I know that it's pretty expensive stuff, but a little goes a long way usually. If you search around you can find it in 50lb. bags I think.

It would be neet to do a little expriment, like make a flowerbed and out the crystals on 1/2 and not on the other, then let it go a summer and watch how one side needs water compared to the other... The stuff may just be 'snake oil' for all I know.