Granular pre-emergent and crabgrass mix?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Feb 24, 2007.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been reading alot about the liquid applications but does anyone make a granular pre-em broadleaf and crabgrass control product? If not, can i apply them at the same time as my spring fertilizer app? I plan on an early spring pre-em with crabgrass, and a fert like a 18-0-8? Then a late spring app, as well as a summer and a winterizer but still have no idea what product and selection of ?-?-? to use. All Im looking to do is keep things weed free and green as these are all commercial properites. If i do need to do a liquid app is it for the broadleaf or crabgrass? Do both have to be done with a liquid? I plan on using all granular for my fertilizer. The products will be applied with a PG spreader, but I need to know if I have to get a liquid set-up as well. These are all 10+ acre properites. Thanks......again! This is for mainly KBG in Minnesota.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

If your using a PG to apply. put down a fert/pre- emergent combo and spot spray the broad leafs w/ the PG. The NPK ratio depends on your area and what your lawns need. there are many different ratios to meet for your specific needs.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In Minnesota, may I suggest an early granular fertilizer with pre-emergent crabgrass control. Granular weed control is not very effective compared to liquid. Weed control has to wait until warm enough. Dandelions will bloom about the time of first mowing--about 3rd week of April. Second application could be with liquid broadleaf weed control. You could do crabgrass, fertilizer and weed control all the same day, if your schedule permits. But it is better to do weed control later when warm enough for clover, oxalis and ground ivy.

Treat weeds again in fall to reduce next spring's weeds.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No one with a PG would be asking such questions. Sorry,...but it is the truth.

5. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

what does pg stand for. I have no clue.

6. Shades of Green LService

Perma Green- ride on spreader/sprayer

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I feel sorry for those customers

8. Shades of Green LService

Well, at least the guy is asking questions and trying to learn. Lets give him credit for that at least. However, i do question whether he does in fact have a PG.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Learn first and then go do it.
    this is no occupation to wing it as you go.
    Too many of us are facing stricter regulations and limits on what we can use in our livelyhoods. I don't need some one who doesn't even know what a combo product is making it worse.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...And like I say,.. I mean no offense by it, or anything like that. It is just sort of scary when some of these these guys are wanting or are going out attempting this type of stuff, and not know even the tip of the iceberg. Things like form or formulations, let alone what ai's should be used for what conditions or circumstances. I'm sorry, but this is NOTHING to mess around with. Just because it is related to the green industry, does not mean that it is even remotely close to the simplicity of mowing and other maintenance procedures and operations. It is becoming alarming at the questions and the amount of people on here that are desiring to get into this aspect of the business. You have to understand that when us applicators are trained and licensed, we are taught about total safety and concern of environment, including such things as proper identification of the pest, lifecycles to know the most adequate treatment with least amount of harm or disruption of the environment, knowledge of conditions that surround the pests and/or conditions so effective curative measures can be performed, and FULL knowledge of what curatives are usable and safe, and most of all most effective with least disruption to the environment. Much knowledge on IPM practices is learned and taken into consideration when performing these services, as well.