Granular Pre-M from Lesco 0-0-7

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I spread some granular Pre-M 0-0-7 from Lesco on a guys lawn. The yellow stuff.

Anyway, this guy calls me the next day and explained that the birds were really eating the stuff in the mornings. Will it hurt the birds, he asks me?

What would you guys say? How would you answer?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Lol, I dont think that would be very tasty to the birds. Is he positive the birds were eating it and not just something else?

3. Meier

from DFW

I'm not sure if he's positive, but when a customer tells you the birds are eating it in the morning, I don't have any research on my side to say "You're mistaken."

I just told the guy I didn't think it would hurt the birds...probably not good for them to be eating this stuff, but if it would harm the birds the regulatory agencies wouldn't have allowed this stuff on the market.

He was ok with my explanation, I suppose. I was just wondering if anyones else has ever run into this.

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Meier

Did you have your customer water in your application of Pre-M???

5. Meier

from DFW

Yup. He watered it in. But even after it's watered in, there are still yellow granules. I think those granules are just a transport mechanism for the Pre-M. After all, the Pre-M that is used for liquid application is powder.

Think I'll call Lesco and see what they tell me about this. I'm sure this won't be the last time it ever gets brought up by a customer.

Later,
    DFW, TX

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Meier

Many chemical manufactures will treat ground corn cobs with chemicals so they may be applied in granular form. Once this granular product is watered it releases its chemical and leaves a residue of ground corn cobs on top of the soil. Normally this residue is too small for birds to eat but that is not always the case. How long it takes for the ground corn cobs to release all of the chemical depends on many things.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what the birds are eating. If they are eating the ground corn cobs how it will effect them I don't know.

However Your post reminds of a story about a Gulf Course that put out Dursban Granules for Canadian Geese to eat and got a big fine. It was proven that they treated the Geese with Dursban to try and kill them. Certainly you were not trying to kill birds.