Granular PreEm app then mowing

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by khutch, Aug 29, 2012.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Sure it is hard to tell without some serious test work done, but I am not comfortable mowing after a granular Pre-Em app until there is a least some rainfall. Anyone with accurate knowledge on this?

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It is preffered to mow relatively short before applying prem. It needs to be watered in pretty quick as it will break down when exposed to UV
    I do not have much luck with Granular PreM products.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I never worry about it. What happens if you cut a granule in half?

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

You double the number of granule's but reduce the mass of each one...:laugh::waving::drinkup:

I'm not sure it matters. If you put down slow release, it will rupture the encapsulated granule and it will no longer be slow release.

IMO; mowing after a granular application isn't smart. The granules get sucked up into the deck and discharged with the grass rendering your intended product distribution moot.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We have a lawn that requires bagging, according to the h.o.'s desire... I unloaded grass clippings with enough granules mixed in to actually notice it... :)

6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

And there's the answer... :clapping:

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Up north pre em goes down before guys are even cutting grass so for us it doesn't matter. I am thinking of spraying my pre em next year less break thru.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you pre-m so early, when CG doesn't germinate until well after the cool-season grasses have started growing again??? CG is a warm-season annual...

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Crab Gass is not the only weed controlled by PreM

10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

While you guys are covered in snow our fescue turf is looking pretty good + we have Cool season weeds, and plenty of them....