1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Granular vs. Liquid Apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kbrashears, May 24, 2006.

1. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Last year, we had about 20 yards we were doing chemical apps on. I am a school teacher and I am in business with a golf course supt. We were mowing about 15 yards and doing these apps. Anyway, I decided to try to get out of education and go full time into lawn care doing mowing and chemical apps. We treat our lawns much like we treat the golf course. We have a seven app program that consists of granular pre-emerg, liquid herbicide/iron, insecticide, and fertility. All is granular except for the herbicide/iron treatment we do in April/early May. Very time consuming, now that we are up to 40 yards. We have a 300 gallon skid sprayer with 300' of hose for this. For our granular apps, I have JRCO spreader mounted on front of my eXmark. After pushing the spreader through acres of Zoysia with the support bar dragging in the turf, it would wear me out pretty fast. I used to dread pushing that spreader. Now that I have the JRCO, life is good this time around. I knocked out 25 yards of fertility (some large properties in that number....1-3 acres). Not bad considering two hours of it was probably travel time. We're pretty spread out here. We have backpacks, of course, and another 55 gallon tow sprayer with a 14 foot boom. My question is how do you guys get through the liquid apps fast enough that you don't kill yourself? I could handle 250 granular apps per month, no problem, by myself, but I'm just hesitant to go out and load on chemical apps because I don't know if I can keep up with the liquid side of it.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

sounds like you need a spreader/sprayer! I have a Perma Green Magnum and do just over 500 lawns 6 times per yr. I use to use liquid and really got tired of draging the hose so I sold all my sprayers and use the PG on all the lawns from 5000K to 5 Ac. you should check out PG and Z spray, if you have alot of larger properties the Z spray would be the best choice. I like the PG because its easy to transport and is not too big to use on the average home lawn. and I think PG has finaly got it right with the Magnum
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

We have both the PG and a tank sprayer, and I feel hose is alot faster on most residental accounts. Of course we fertilze and spray herbicide at the same time. Our R1 is all granular and it's more time consuming than the rest of the rounds... Now on the larger properties the PG is helpful...
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I love using the PG, I come home feeling a lot cleaner and less tired!