Granular vs. Liquid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nate1422, Nov 25, 2005.

1. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

What is everyone using when it comes to pre and post emergent control products. What works best or is it a crapshoot?
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I use granular for pre and liquid for post.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Grtanualr amy ne better cuzz it falld through to the dirt better , houzzz that?:rolleyes:
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

One of your better posts.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I say it's a crapshoot as well.

Some like granular, for the reason weed head stated (kinda) in that the product goed to the soil and dosn't stick to anything else (where it's supposed to go)

Others argue that liquid pre-em is better because they can get a more uniform coverage, Well, actually a not uniform coverage... Meaning that they can go a little thin with it in the shade spots and give a little extra in the hot spots like along paved surfaces.

Trouble with liquid pre-em's is they need to be watered in very soon after application, granular can sit a little longer (but not over 2 weeks). Also in the early early spring (late march) when it's time to apply them we are likely to have freezing temps overnight and even during the days. Makes it hard to have a tank of liquid in your truck!
  6. ArizPestWeed

I used mostly liquid .
    Most yards here are about 7,000 sq ft.
    I can do 1,000 sq ft in 30 seconds , so , 7,000 in 3.5 minutes .
    I can do 3 yards in an hour @ $120.00 each = $360.00.
    My cost per 1,000 sq ft = $1.25 .
    Not bad , huh?
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I like granular dimension. I do split applications. I do 2 light rate applications about 6 weeks apart. Keeps the grabgrass down much better than one big app. I like the dimension because it will kill baby crabgrass plants that manage to slip by. Then I use drive for post emergant.
  8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I do the first app with gran. dimension and spray drive around hot spots like sidewalks and curbs. Then the next application I do a blanket spray of dimension.
  9. ArizPestWeed

What are you all paying for the gran. dimenson ?