Granular vs Liquid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tsh1773, Apr 24, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I will be sitting for the exam on May 9th but I'd like to know a couple of things. I know Lesco sells 13-2-5, 25-2-5, 0-0-7, 5-10-31, 28-5-12 and many other granular products. Are these available in liquid form for better coverage? It may seem like a dumb question, but if you don't know you don't know and the study materials for the exam never mention it. I'm pretty sure ChemLawn uses all liquid products.

2. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

No, they are not available as a liquid. When you spray fertilizer, each item comes as a component. The Nitrogen, Potassium, Iron, Sulfer etc. You have to tank mix it. Therefore, you get the blend YOU want, and the amount of pesticide you desire.

Granular products offer much cheaper slow release options, Liquid apps offer the ability to customize your blend and allow for awesome weed control, especially with drench applications (3 gal/1000k).

Where I live, almost all granular fertilizer blends use Iron. The granular guys spend a lot of time blowing off sidewalks, I probably spend that time mixing and filling tanks to spray.

3. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

That makes sense. Thanks.