Granular VS Liquid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I hope this has not been beat to death, but is there any benefit of liquid other than price over granular. I am mainly interested in the pre emergent and fertilizers. I know that post is always better with spray.

The reason I am wondering this is because I am thinking of changing gears alittle bit. I have always been mainly maintenance oriented with landscape installs and applications on the low end. In 08 I went from running three trucks on the maintenance down to just me and my son. My son is ready to start pursuing other interest and it is going to be just me and I do not know how much longer that I want to keep beating myself down with the maintenance.

I now only have a Pro Lawn shielded 52" sprayer, Lesco spreaders and several back pack 4 gallon sprayers. I am interested in the ride on units such as the Z spray and T 3000. I know these are good for low volume post weed spray but I do not feel they will handle pre m and fert other than granular. I have always used granular so that does not bother me. I guess what I really want to know is a skid type sprayer really necessary? I really do not want to use another truck and pull a hose around right now.

Please give your honest opinions. I know everyone's needs and feelings are different.

2. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

now i have always thought liquid was higher.... at least it has been every time i priced it. many buy urea and dissolve it in water to spray it, so that isn't a liquid to begin with......

only advantage if liquid in my limited experience would you can mix it any way you want to with just about anything you want to... micros included or not...

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I sometimes use liquid fert because it is an easy way to put down as little as 1/4lb N/1000. Secondly those ferts are a FOLIAR feeding sometimes providing results within 2-3 days. As for the pre's, pure speed of application as well as not throwing it where it doesnt belong....like in someone's driveway, (artwork in my case), or anywhere that it isnt needed.

4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

whats the cost difference for you?

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

All depends..basic liquid fert is soo cheap its amusing. I think I paid 6 or 7 hundred for a 2.5 gallon jug of Dimension. I forget the rate, but it was enough to treat 5 acres for like 2 years.

6. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I pay 2.70 a lbs for a true liquid fert just the N
    got a quote to day for a pallet 25-3-10 with pre for 1.93 a lbs this is granular
    Charles Cue

7. Turf Dawg

Ok I might have been wrong about the price, I just have heard liquid was cheaper.

Anyway, other than the one that mentioned speed, anymore thoughts on Ride on, skid or will both eventually be needed?

8. Turf Dawg

Holy crapamoly, I know that the formula is alittle different but the last I bought a couple of months ago was

Lesco Pre M .86% 25-2-5 30%PPSCU for $26.59 bag 12,000 sqr ft thats like 54 cents per pound

9. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

when i price fert it is by the the lb in terms of n, not lbs in a bag.

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

may be i divided the wrong way it came out to 51 cents but i though that was to cheap
    Charles Cue