1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Granular vs Liquid

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by greenlawn2, Feb 15, 2013.

1. greenlawn2

greenlawn2 LawnSite Member

What guidelines or general timing considerations do you take into account when you're deciding whether to use granular or liquid fertilizers? Which months out of the year would you generally use each?

2. lawn2012start

lawn2012start LawnSite Member

I dont own a business. I am no expert. but for my personal lawn I use mostly liquid. organic liquid. dry fertilizer just takes to long to break down in my lawn. with liquid I can hit it as it needs to. especially starter. I will use dry when planting a completely new area of grass.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think the effects of dry fertilizer show up in about a week.That is provided soil moisture is present. liquid can cause fertilizer burn in hot weather...to us that is over 85.

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I’m assuming there are no slow release liquid ferts....?

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Wrong assumption. You can can liquids from 0 slow release to 100% slow release same as granular
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

One of my clients, when a former Co. Applied liquid fert, cried a river that the liquid fert washed away during heavy Spring rains and thus MADE them re-apply....? :confused:
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should give her a gran. app. Is it worth the discussion. Dismantle her issue. Fert her dry! Then Go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

100%, slow, liquid. In the rainy season. Yea? Is that what data says? Really. I'd like to see that work. I mean SEE IT. Not read it. I'll bet heavy rains, kick that data in the wow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. turf hokie

Ummm. Really? WTF are you attacking me for? I answered a question about whether liquid fert was available in slow release form. I never said when to use it!

What data are you referencing?

Have another beer or at the very least read the thread in context before you attack me. What a ******.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. turf hokie

What is the difference between liquid or granular in this situation?

Yes it is worth a conversation with the customer to educate them on what you are applying. An uneducated customer will have an issue with granular or liquid if they have a misconception of what you applied.

I assume you think a liquid fert will wash away and a dry wont? Your as uneducated as the consumer.
    Posted via Mobile Device