1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

granuler or squirt?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by willietd2, Dec 25, 2006.

1. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

can you get good results out of a 5 app granuler program,or do you have to employ liquids?
  2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

IMO you need to spray for broadleaf weeds, at least if the lawn has a lot in it. If there isnt a lot of weeds in it, you may get away with the dry, then again depends how picky your customers are. The nice thing about liquid is i think you get a better blanket coverage. The other thing about dry apps is that for it to work better the grass should be damp so the herbicide sticks to it, so you either need to water just before, or there should be a dew. Some people may have good luck with the dry, i never really did.
  3. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Dry fert and liquid for weeds. I can get alot more growth with granular
    in a weak area than with liquid. I would put my lawns up against any big franchise that just use liq. only any day of the week. As long as they are
    using liquid I will continue to get their unsatisfied customers.

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

I agree 100%. Only use liquids on herbicides.
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all above. Liquid w/c will give the most effective results and, typically, granular ferts. will as well. I'm not sure of your specific situation and forgive me if I'm reading into this too far, but if you are just starting out and are trying to avoid a tank sprayer investment, backpacks are an inexpensive way to spot treat weeds. You can do whole lawns with them as needed, but spot treating will also keep your chemical costs down, by treating only what needs to be treated. Also, if you compare cost per acre (or per 1,000 sq. ft.), the cost of granular weed and feed is far more than the cost of a combination of a comparable granular fert. and liquid weed control.
  6. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

So this is another question tagged on.
    1. If you do spray for post-emergent, do you put down straight granular fertilizer?
    2. Can you do it at the same time?
    3. How many sq. feet of lawns can you cover with a 100 gal. tank for post emergent? (if anyone knows off the top of their head.)

I am just starting in chem apps this year and am trying to figure out what works best as far as rounds go. The following is what I am thinking at this point. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Round 1 - Early Spring - Fertilizer and Pre-emergent Granular formulation
    Round 2 - Late Spring - Granular Fert and Post-emergent Spray (would whole lawn or spot spraying be better?)
    Round 3 - Early Summer - Granular Fert
    Round 4 - Late Summer - Granular Fert
    Round 5 - Early Fall - Fertilizer and Pre-emergent Granular formulation
    Round 6 - Late Fall - Winterizer
  7. patmorrissey72

patmorrissey72 LawnSite Member

I dont know about the pre-emergant granular formulation that you have suggested in the 5th round.
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

It will be different depending on where u live. Yes stright fert and spot spray weeds. Your preemergents will hopefully take care of some of your weeds.
    I will put down just preemergent in round 1 and maybe 2 because the grass is still dormant. I deal with warm grasses.
    My 5 round will be preemergent like u
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Ok here's the problem, just 1 broadleaf weed spray in late spring will leave you with a lot of very unhappy people.
    If you are already doing granular fert apps every time, then you shouldn't have any problem spot spraying, some lawns will need a blanket spray in the late spring/ early summer. I'm not sure about the fall pre-emergent either, you should probably put that with round 3 as your 1 st round pre-em isn't going to last that long. Even with prodiamine (Barricade or Stonewall) you will be lucky to get 8 months.
  10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

As for your question about how much will a 100 gal tank cover, depends how you are set up. I have a 200 gal, but i put down 2 gal/1000 sqft so i cover 100,000 sq ft with a tank. I do have a nozzle that puts down 1.5 gal, but i usually use the 2 gal nozzle