granules kill bugs on contact?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 14, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'll let you decide. A National company is now selling a 'granular' product that promises to kill most bugs "on contact". Included are: ants, fleas, ticks, cutworms, etc. They even say it offers a two-month protection period that keeps them away. (keep in mind this is a granular product)

It's called "Bug B Gone Max". I spent about forty minutes researching the above pests, and it seems this is not possible. This ain't right.

Stuff like this really makes me mad. I won't mention the initials of this National company, but their initials are Sc_tts.

Any thoughts? :confused:

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

No that's crazy, not on contact as a granular without instant moisture, I used to use alot of granular Dursban and that is the only granular I have ever killed on contact and that was during a light rainfall.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I agree! Total B.S. & I'm tired of the constant radio commercials for this & others claiming that you put this down & it keeps your lawn "bug free" for the Summer:dizzy: I had a customer ask the other day why I don't use that for their perimeter apps, that way I would only have to do it one a year:hammerhead:

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Most likely bifenthrin right? if its granular it has to get moisture to release.

5. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Hey Humble......You gotta love the mini-gun!!!!:clapping:

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, it's true....this stuff works miraculously - just like all scotts and ortho (scotts owned) products. It DOES work on lawns put down as a dry granular,...it just needs to be put down on "water saver" lawns.:rolleyes::laugh:

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

If you are not getting these same great results, Buy some more and reapply it because you didn't apply it correctly the first time. Scotts can not stand responsible for misapplication of their products. Please be sure to read the Disclaimer only after a failed application. BTW Scotts Legal staff is willing and waiting with our team of PAID experts to answer any legal question. Scotts Experts are well versed in Scotts style agronomy and Legal testimony

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

More things to satisfy the DIYer's need to think he can do anything a professional applicator can do. The only thing I have seen kill on contact is a liquid applied at 200+ PSI and 5 gallons/M. I do not do granular insect controls. Today, I was treating a new account that had scale and sod webworm in the turfgrass. I do not know of any granules that will kill scale in turfgrass. BTW, to treat this, only time I will ever use bifenthrin + imidacloprid at the same time.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. Essentially, they should just write on the back - "Apply at atleast 1 and a half times the original amount on the bag". As we think of it, that is about what any homeowner does, anyway..."Hey,..better grab an extra bag, just in case.":)

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

from there product label