grapefruit & oranges and all that suck!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Jun 16, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

so its that time of the year again when there are more grapefruits and oranges on the ground than in the tree. most people pick them up however i have 2 homes that just dont and its nasty! now i dont run over them i just leave them be and the other day i was just trimming around them when i realized i was wasting my time. so i left them a voice mail stating it has to be picked up if you want me to mow there or i can do it for a fee. what do you guys usually do? just wondering how you all handle that situation. same goes w/ dog crap..... another messy situation i cant stand :blob2:

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Belive it or not, I have not had a Citrus Fruit problem since 1995.

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

We have in our contract, an additional $300 charge for any oranges or grapefruit that we have to pick up. Evidentally that is enough to make the customers stay on top of it because we have never had to clean up any oranges or grapefruit at all, not even once. :D

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If the customer doesn't pick up their citrus...I make juice. Either that or they don't get their grass cut around the citrus trees. After I've made some juice a few times the customer gets the hint and picks up the fallen fruit. Only have 2 or 3 that I have to remind about it. The rest of them give me all the Oranges and Grapefruit I can handle.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not citrus, but dont forget apples and pear. I have to contend with apples and pears in 3 of my lawns. Its a PITA, but I do just mow over them. I do mention it the customer, but hay if they dont care, neither do I. Its their lawn.

6. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Move to Kansas and you won't have to worry about citrus fruit

7. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Never seen one up here outside of a market...

8. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

At least they smell better than dog poop!!
    Until they really start rotting that is. I have a few yards that I stop the mower and use my foot to kick them back under the tree.
    Usually only takes a minute or two!!

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have this neat tool I have been using for 18 years now. I have purchased newer ones during that time. It is called a Scag Juicer.:D

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing like running full speed through a cloud of yellow jackets, making apple sauce, huh? If they are too lazy to pick the fruit up, we mow it , and charge a $ 10.00 equipment cleaning fee. Some yards, we get all the free fruit we can handle. Mostly everyone here likes certain trees or shrubs for color, etc., and could care less about the by-product b/c they are too busy w/ other things .More free raspberries, grapes, apples,santa rosa plums, pears, and even a tangerine tree in our route, for us~!!.:D

P.S.- I almost forgot...we do periodic work for a Dr. my wife works with who raises bees for a hobby. We get all the free clover and poplar honey we need from him, both comb honey, and strained.mmmmmmm