Graphite Spray For Under Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Was at my JD dealer today and noticed a spray called "slip plate" Its just graphite.. drys on contact and is supposed to prevent build up of dust, dirt... and maybe grass under my deck. I have a feeling that the stuff is going to get sandblased off in the first 5 min but we'll see tomorrow how it works :p Anyone ever try anything like it before? Does any product prevent build up?

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Have not tried that stuff before, but I have tried the cheapest non-stick cooking spray you can get at the dollar store. It works great, about every other time we change blades we spray the decks. Ever since we started doing this I don't have to clean the decks anymore.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, ditto on the Pam.. Cooking spray works like a champ..
  4. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I put slip plate on all my mower decks this spring before the season started. Seemed to work for a few days and than the stuff was gone. Not going to use it again.
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Those products under a deck is a joke. I have tried Slip plate on multiple occasions. I have tried a product called dri-plate which is similar with some different properties. Both are likely outstanding products, but not on a deck. The dri-plate was gone in one lawn. The slip plate was %75 gone after several lawns. I have tried this on multiple mowers, and the result is the same. I was not very happy after spending hours, and I mean hours scrapeing and cleaning those decks so that they would be a perfect surface to accept the product. Big waste of time!

6. Willdro

Willdro LawnSite Member

I have been using it for over a year with great results. I buy it in gallon can and put it on with a paint brush. It is messy! They also have it in spray cans, but the nozzle always stops up before the can is empty. Grass doesn't stick underneath as much. When you clean the deck it comes off easier.
  7. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

haven't had good results with it either but if you read the directions it sounds like it would only work on a new unused deck
  8. Bilboy

Bilboy LawnSite Member

I'm trying a spray on product called EZ slide on my new deck and so far so good but I've only mowed about 8 acres with it
  9. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

it works well for me... but i try to apply it every day
  10. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Has anyone used both Slip-Plate and EZ-Slide; if so, which do you recommend? Either one should be better than Mo-Dek. If it lasted a whole day of mowing, it would be worth it to me. With a flip-up deck (Country Clipper) applying it would be easier and I'd love to be able to just hose off the deck at the end of the day (without a lot of scraping).