grapple buckets are they that great

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by docholiday, Dec 16, 2007.

1. docholiday

docholiday LawnSite Member

looking for input on grapple buckets. i have some tree work, land clearing work coming up and have never used one.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

For tree work it is a "must have"

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments/saber_tine/index.cfm

http://www.virnigmfg.com/Pages/Products/scrap_grapple_images_ind.html

I have just bought the Virnig bucket. I have not received it yet. I saw one at Butler CAT in Bismarck, ND and really liked it. They have full shielding on the bucket rams. That is attractive to me since I have busted many a fitting on the rams during demo projects.

The Saber Tine bucket is a great logging bucket. Very tough, good grip strength, no complaints. Quick-attach is great to deal with.

I sold my two previous grapple buckets. As far as how valuable they are, if you deal with anything other than dirt in my opinion you need one. Great for demo, concrete removal, and tree, shrub type operations.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I just looked at the virnig grapple and have a few questions. Did you compare that to say a demo dozer? And, what made you choose this particular bucket ie: job types?

5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do clearing with a regular toothed bucket... I've seen it done, anyway, by a real old school operator. I wouldn't want to have to do it that way.

A 4 in 1 is a lot better, if that is all you have and the job isn't big enough to warrant a grapple, or it is an unexpected opportunity and you don't have time to line up a grapple.

If you can, I would definitely get the grapple. Makes clearing go a lot faster... WAY faster. And you don't end up putting tons of dirt into your trucks, dumpsters, or worse, your burn pile.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I gave serious consideration to the demo dozer. The issue I have with that bucket is the solid grapple. I see it being difficult to grab concrete and irregular objects with it. If that portion was unboltable so you had teeth when you wanted them that would have worked for me as well.

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Okay you have been BUSTED!!!!!!! Do i see the word CAT in there somewhere?

I can't believe Tom didn't spot this one:confused::usflag:

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

OK I was on my way to my origin of birth and the CASE and CAT dealer are real close in Bismarck so I covered the logo on pickup and entered the CAT Box. I was happy I did as I have been wanting to see this bucket in person. I would have purchased it if it was not presold. I cant get Virnig to match the price CAT said their bucket sold for.

9. docholiday

docholiday LawnSite Member

im kinda leaning towards one of the virnig grapples too. why did you sell your other two grapples? thanks scott

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy